1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm looking for a machine to practice in my college dorm, unsure of what equipment I need.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by usernamev19, Jul 10, 2019.

1. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    First-time poster and beginner. So, I recently bought a rumble 40 but it's looking like it is not the best piece of equipment for me since I only intend to be a bedroom bassist and I will be using headphones 99% of the time.

I want a device that will let me hook up my bass, DB-90 metronome, and computer together so I can listen to everything via headphones. I want to use a daw like Reaper or GarageBand, and I want to eventually post covers/jams to youtube. I plan on returning the Rumble 40 to better allocate those $200.

The Mackie 402VLZ4 4-channel mixer seems to be excellent based on reviews, but I think it would be difficult to connect it to my MacBook seeing as my Mac only has 2 USB-c ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

What would you recommend? I'm just looking for a device that lets me tie everything together with good sound quality and the ability to eventually record. I am also pretty unfamiliar with the terminology like DIs, Compressors, all that signal and clipping stuff. I'm really loving learning - I played upright as a child up until high school and I miss it, it's such a great instrument - and my Talman looks so sexy. Thanks, guys. I really just want to play and make the best use of $200 right now.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    GregC likes this.
  2. Recording seems to set the priority. I think you need a PC with good audio interface and stick to headphones. Put your bass preamp of choice in front if the PC doesn't do it for you. It's not like you can bass in a dorm.

Nashrakh likes this.
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    A simple audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is exactly what you need. Connects to your MacBook via USB, plug your bass and headphones into the interface. Play along to music from your computer or record new tracks using GB. Use GB for decent bass sims (or you could buy other software).

All the EQ/compressor/preamp stuff you want can be had as VSTs from within GB.

DirkP and Haroldo like this.