Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i'm looking for a new amp. any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by discoboo, Apr 28, 2003.

1. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    my ampeg svtIII-pro is about 10 years old and it's giving me problems, so i'm in the market for something new. i've got my eye on a gk 700rb. i play rock music on a mm stingray. i want a solid state amp. been playing through a tube amp all my bass playin life, so i would like a new perspective. thanks for your input.

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    GK 700RB, good choice. Great amp or the money. Wait another month and the new GK models should be out.:bassist:

3. The 700RB-II will be 480 watts at 4 ohms, 320 watts at 8 ohms. It also got a facelift. I think you'll be pleased with it.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Try an Ashdown ABM head. Thats what I bought after my Ampeg SVT-3. The Ashdown smokes the Ampeg IMO.:cool:

5. If you've been playing through the same tube amp for the last 10 yrs and your wanting to change from tubes to SS and a different brand to:meh: Be ready for some real seperation anxiety. If I were you, I'd stick with Ampeg and maybe go with a tube pre/SS power type setup. Believe me when I tell you that a lot of you playing style centers around the way your amp responds. Then again, your might get a totally new sound and really fall in love with it. Just take your time and don't jump at the first pretty face (I mean amp) that catches your eye. good luck.

6. I would look at two choices:

1. All Solid State - try the Euphonic Audio line, either the iAMP 350 (350W into 4 ohms) or iAMP800
    (800W into 4 ohms). Real clarity, I mean superclean with tons of power. Relatively lightweight as well.
    Click here for the Euphonic Audio website

2. In case you fear the cold pure SS sound and might miss some tube warmth, try an SWR 350X, 550X or 750X (respectively 350W, 550W and 750W into 4 ohms). Tube preamp with Solid State Power amp - best of both worlds!:D
    Click here for the SWR site