Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm looking for a new bass, any opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dabluesman, Jun 14, 2001.

1. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    I'm a guitar player who records my own backing (bass & drum) tracks. My '98 MIM Fender P-bass just isnt cutting it for recording. I record direct into my mixer/soundcard through a J-Station. I'm wondering what some of your opinions are as far as going with active pickup equiped bass for my situation. I'm interested in the Fender P-bass Lyte, the active P&J pickup configs appeal to me and the slimmer neck is nice too. I'm also considering a Jazz bass (especially if there is an active one with P&J pickup configs.) Even though they both are Fender I'm open to others like DeArmond (Pilot series), Tobias (Toby Pro-4), and others.. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

2. What kind of sound are you looking for? and price range? I've tried the P-Bass lyte, its pretty decent, but prolly not something to record with, the deluxe might be a different story. Even though I've never been a big Fender fan if you want P/J config then the deluxe series of p-basses are what have em(the standard deluxe as well as the american) And also if you like Fenders theres the Stu Hamm Urge(could find one used too depending on your budget) they aren't traditional Fenders, but have 2 J's and a P but i've heard they don't sound very "woody". But to my real opinion, if you are looking to spend some decent money for a great bass, the Spector Europe series is great, and has a p/j setup. Also i like the warwick sound(though some don't here and i might get crap from this) and streamer lx has a P/J setup and isn't as heavy as some. And the corvette proline has two j's fairly versitile and can be found a www.BassNW.com for fairly good price(if you like the color) To name a few other guitars G&L's are versitile, you can bypass the active electronics though they don't have a P/J try out some different stuff, theres other guitars besides fender and their affiliates, and theres other pickup combinations besides p/j that give great versitility and tone. i apoligize for going on long, its a habit if anyone ever asks me opinion :)

3. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    My P-bass is to "boomy" sounding and it also might have the dreaded "dead fret area" around 3rd fret. The boominess may also be due to lack of a bridge pickup... Maybe I should stay with passive pickups? I'm looking for versatility in the under $600 range and something with petty good resale value.

4. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    Anyone know anything about the Samick Greg Bennett P-Bass?

5. under 6 and versitile, i'd say the fender lyte would be a pretty good choice then. there is the spector ns/2000 series, which is good quality in that range. also don't overlook yamaha, they have some good quality basses. MTD kingstons are in that range easily, though i am not a big fan, i'd say the MTD beast is a better bet for not much more money. also never give up on finding something used that is nice. happy adventuring

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you find the MIM is quite playable? If so, you could just gut it and have you or a tech pop in something nice like Bartolini pickups and harness/Seymour Duncan Basslines/EMG's/DiMarzios/Rio Grandes/Aeros/etc. for less than a new instrument.

Otherwise, that MTD Kingston pesci1313 mentioned looks like one of the big dogs in the budget class.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Another vote for the MTD Kingston (4 or 5), if you want to go new.

If you are considering a 5, and aren't opposed to going used, something I'd strongly recommend in your situation (based on your name, I'm guessing you play blues? ;) ):

Fender Roscoe Beck

You can find them used for just a bit above your price range (seen them for ~$700), and they're a KILLER choice for what you're doing. Eventually, I will add one to my stable...best sounding passive 5 string I've ever heard/played, very versatile as well. I was able to get some respectable P tones out of it, as well as a KILLER J sound.

8. Don't goof around.
    Spend a little a get a Music Man Stringray.

9. he obviously isn't looking to spend that much(though not a bad investment used) and i don't think if he plays blues as his name suggests he'd be happy with a musicman

10. dabluesman

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    I play blues, classic rock, rock, alternative, & some metal, so I need versatility. No one knows anything about the Samick Greg Bennett bass?

11. i've seen some samicks at my local guitar store but never had an urge to play them much for some reason so i don't really know much about them. basically they are average, nothing special, i've never been enamored of samicks of course though, they are just copies of everything.

12. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    i play blues, classic rock, and rock. i just picked up
    a schecter robert deleo model.it lists for 700, i got it for 450. i looked around for a while and didnt find much i liked in this price range, when i played it, i fell in love with it. keep looking youll know when youve found it.