Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im looking for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian_t, Dec 7, 2003.

1. brian_t

brian_t Guest

Feb 20, 2003
    Zanesville, Ohio
    hey everybody im looking for a new bass but dont wanna pay too much, im in a band and play classic rock and classic metal, i really dont wanna pay more than 300$ so i want the best bass for the money..so if u can help me out please do so

2. I would suggest either ESP or Essex, Esp has a good reputation for metal, they have some cool looking basses too, and Essex has some affordable jazz basses and p-basses that would really catch that classic rock vibe pretty well. personally i'd go with essex because they are better quality than what you'd expect for their prices.
    good luck
    Charlie

3. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I'll second that ESP suggestion, try the ESP B-55, $249. bargain if ya ask me

4. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    try getting a squier... if you find the right one you'll be surprised... only some squiers sound good you have to try many of them to find the right one... anyway my teacher has got a squier precision bass special, he changed the bridge and put on a set of decent strings and... it's one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard... we played it vs an american fender jazz and it sounded better

5. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I forgot to say...
    a friend of mine tried to sell me a used Squier precision bass... I tried it and it SUCKED... you have to search to find the right one!!!

6. Viper

Viper Guest

Jun 2, 2004
    Williamsport PA0
    I agree with the ESP B-55, I just recently bought one, and it has a wonderful metal sound. and it looks nice too, especially when stage lights hit it right. I managed to find it for $211 new... so just shop around. on musicians friend I think you can get it at $189

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Not sure how far you are from Columbus Ohio, but there is the Big Winter Ohio Guitar show this Sunday.

OHIO GUITAR
    Aladdin Shrine Temple Complex
    3850 Stelzer Road, Columbus
    January 15 11:30AM-6:30PM

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You can probably pick up a used MIM Fender Jazz or Precision for that price. They're classics and can be used in just about ANY musical situation. I'd recommend one wholeheartedly.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Also, check out the Fender Squier series.

10. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    What kind of bass do you currently play?