1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm Looking for a new Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philzbass, Feb 19, 2008.

1. OK, so I just sold the last bass I had in the house about a month or two ago. It was a Spector Euro 4 (Blue Stain) that I miss dearly!:crying: I don't know what I was thinking!!!!!

I picked up several keyboards and sold ALL my basses so that I could afford to keep the boards I got. I had not played bass in a band for a long time and I guess I thought that I wouldn't be playing bass for quite awile so I was going to try something new and start jamming on keyboards. Well, that was great until it got old. I guess I am just a bassist at heart and can't deny it anymore. I'll keep at least one board but I want a new bass bad!

So here is my question to you guys/gals... I have my eye on two very nice basses; a Spector Euro 4LXEX w/Spalted Maple top (NICE) and a see thru/black Fender Custom Shop Jazz w/Maple fretboard (Also NICE)

Out the door the:
    Spector runs about $1500-$1600
    Fender runs about $1900-$2000

So what should I do? I don't have a bass right now and I want something kick ass after selling off all the sh*t I used to own.

I want something really versitile and I will probably be pairing the bass up with a GK 1001rbII or maybe a Thunderfunk. I've even considered something from SWR but not sure yet.

I know that nobody can make this decision for me, I am just looking for some opinions here. Anything will help.

Thank you

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    If you like modern tone, go Spector. If you like classic tone, go Fender.

3. I'm not a Fender Fan (why be part of the Herd)....so if it were me I would go with the Spector....

But why just these two choices?

4. Well, I loved my Spector and really regret selling it. But I have always been a fan of Fender and wouldn't mind having a really nice Jazz Bass. I really like these two basses and the companies that make them, it's a little bit of a comfort zone thing.

Why, any other suggestions? Ooooo, that's leaving this thread WIDE open :rolleyes: When will I learn...

5. comfort zone....

I think you answered your own question....

just thinking in that price range there are so many choices so as to boggle the mind....

If i were forced to pick between a P and a J i would go with the J...its just that i was forced to play Fenders in school and our teacher wouldn't even consider another choice so i atuomatically turn off when people start talking Fender...

I'm not a gear snob and tend to play mid price instruments (600.00to 700.00 dollar range at that price you can pick up two) i wouldn't want to carry a 2,000.00 dollar anything down to the local bar (now if its going to stay at home or be used in the studio only....)

again if these are my only two choices i would go with the Spector

but what about Warwick, EBMM, Lakland, and Modulus, Sadowsky, Valenti, Clover etc....just saying....

6. ...Dingwall.

Do itt.

You know you want to :bag:

7. Just curious......What do you guys think about a Ric?

8. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    If i were you, i'd get what used to be mine :D Go get the spector (again)!

9. bump

10. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i think Ric's just increased in price and the wait is at least 24 months.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1 to this...

Or do what I do and get one of each :D

(OK, so my Fender is an AmDlx, not a Custom...but still)

12. bump

13. No more opinions?

14. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Try em both, and then find out which tone u like the most.

Btw, i have a Spector and it rocks :D

15. :UPDATE:

I went up to my local music store and played around for a while today. After about an hour and a half of playing, I think I've found my new bass! A RICKENBACKER!

I played the Spector Euro 4LXEX and the Fender Custom Shop Jazz that I had mentioned earlier, along with a Warwick Streamer $$ (AWSOME BASS), a bunch of other Fender's and a couple LTD's.

I was really drawn to the Jazz bass sound, more than anything else...............And Then! I saw a Rickenbacker. They just got it in last week. A Brand Spankin' new Jetglo 4003! I plugged it in and it was like magic. Everything just seemed to work, it was the closest thing to that Jazz bass sound and then some! The neck and fret board felt so good. So I dropped some cash on it and put it in layaway.

I never see Ric's in stores anymore so I thought this is my chance to get one for a decent price. And If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it and get my money back......I still see a Fender Jazz Bass in the future.