I'm looking for a nice 6'stringer... help me out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 43apples, Aug 12, 2005.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hi guys!

I've decided to buy a new, moderately priced 6-string bass, but i'm unsure what one will fit my needs.

First off, let me say that all instruments, pickups and replacement parts are twice to three times as expensive here in norway as in the US. For an excample, a Musicman Stingray is over $2500 here. And also, importing an instrument from the US would end up just as expensive as buying it here, and i won't get any warranty if it gets crushed in the mail.

Anyway, here's what i'm looking for in my future 6-string bass:
    -A moderate price... no higher than what a Musicman Stingray or MIA Fender would cost.
    -A very tigth and balanced sounding B string, and overall very balanced tone and volume from string to string.
    -A moderately tigth string spacing, as wide as possible.
    -Good overall bulid quality, it's gotta last a good while!
    -A very muscular, nice tone that fits in the mix... think Stingray/Bongo.

The basses i've been considering is the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 (Picture), the Ibanez BTB406(picture) (though discontinued here in norway, hard to find), and maybe, if i get rich, a Carvin.

Keep in mind that the Schecter and the Ibanez costs about $1500-2000 here, and a Carvin of my choice would be over $3000USD.

Anyway, all opinions and advice are greatly appreciated! I'd also be happy if you could send your reply in a PM to me in addition to write it here, since i'm borrowing a PC and i'm unsure if i'll get back here again before this thread has "died".

Thanks alot,
  2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  3. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    a carvin over 3 g's? dude every option wouldent be that much! i've gota check this out
  4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well... listen here. A Carvin XB six stringer with a nice walnut top, laminated neck, gold hardware, plus shipping would cost me about 25.000 norwegian kroner, about the same as a Mid-High end MIA bass. Divide that by about 7, and you get the price i'd have to pay, in US Dollars. $3200.
  5. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    the Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 is a very good bass, i play with mine since more than one year. Very good versality and great sound.
    I put a piezo bridge on it and it ever more wonderfull. I had it for 900€
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My recommendation is, find a good European-based luthier and avoid the inflated prices on American and Japanese gear. I love and have owned much US and Japanese gear, including Ibanez and Carvin, but I just can't see paying that much for it if there's any way around it.

I'm not that familiar with the European luthier scene, so I can't give you much specific advice. However, I'm sure there are some good options. I can tell you that I've worked with one British bass maker whom I'd recommend, Jon Shuker:

He does good work, is responsive to what you're looking for, and is reasonably priced. I don't know what the kron-pound exchange rate is right now, but I have to think that one of his less tricked-out basses wouldn't cost more than the price you cited for a Music Man.
  7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks alot, Richard! These basses look really nice for the price, maybe i'll get one of those! I'm emailing Mr. Shuker for a price quote rigth now. A 1500 pund price is what i can afford... and for that it seems like i'd get alot of bass! :)
  8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You would indeed get a lot of bass for the money. And if you have a particular request that you're not sure Jon offers, just ask him. He might say no, but he's also been known to do some things that are not "on the menu."

BTW, if you go to the Bolt-On section, and click "Custom", you'll see one of my basses (the 6 string with the amboyna burl top).

Oh yeah, if you don't hear back from him right away, he sometimes goes to France for a couple of weeks at a time, so he might be there. If you get hold of him, tell him I said hi.
  9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm not sure if this will help you but here goes. I have a friend of my family who plays trombone professionally with the BBC. He used take orders for brass instruments, come to the U.S. and buy the instruments and then ship them back to England. I don't remember if he took them on the plane or if he shipped them. He would also visit us in New York (where I grew up) and make a vacation out of it. He would charge a small profit for each instrument for himself for doing all the work. The people he bought the instruments for were happy because they were paying less than what they would have if they had to buy them over there themselves.

Perhaps you can do something like that. We have Bass Central in Orlando, FL who ships all over the world. Then you and your girlfriend, wife, or buddy can go see Mickey Mouse for a couple of days too.