I'm looking for a program to help me write sheet music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by muthagoose, Jun 23, 2004.

1. muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    I went to the local library and borrowed a couple of books with children songs in order to work on my sight reading. (I'm not very good at sight reading. Yet :p) The trouble is that it's all written with (in?) treble clef. So know I thought I'd sit down and transpose the songs to bass clef, and I'm looking for a program that will allow me to write down sheet music on the comp, and preferably be able to save them as .bmp files or something of that sort. Any help is appreciated!

Edit : Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Uhm I can't help but I have this year long personal project thing to do for school that I should start soon (that's how big it is, I have to waste some of ym summer doing it and it is due in like May) But I will also need one of these programs as I am doing an instructional bass book. So if you find out/ anyone knows that would be cool. If possible are there any free/cheap ones? Nad hopefully they are easy too, cause i suck with computers and programs and stuff.

3. There's Sibelius 3 but that isn't cheap.
  4. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i had something a while ago i think it was called like winnotepad2003 or something. i'll check and put a link if i can
  5. Inccmdr

Oct 16, 2003
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Finale works really well. There is a free version. I would recommend the first level of upgrade to the free version ($40-60). Unless you are actually composing through a Midi, this should work fine for writing sheet music. It also allows you "playback" what you have written or transcribed.
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    PowerTab converts tab you enter into Sheet, or converts .mid into tab and sheet.
  7. Here are some snippets I culled from another board. I did not write this and I haven't used any of these. They came from a thread about cheap/free notation software. HTH.

8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Another nod for Finale.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    To do what you want to do, the free Finale is all you need.