1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm looking for another Bass..........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quindecima, Nov 14, 2018.

1. quindecima

quindecima Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    I was looking at a '91 and '15 Rick 4003S but rapidly lost interest after reading the latest Rick thread and am looking at a Suhr...pro's, con's? Do they only have a Jazz or is there another?

Scott Baiowulf likes this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    So, you're easily swayed by other people's opinions? How did you feel before reading that thread?

kentiki, Manticore, Jokei and 2 others like this.
  3. quindecima

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    Too many negatives and not enough positives for me. I wanted to get one because I liked the looks, I played an early one and liked the sound but quality seems to be a big issue.

4. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Well to be fair it was a talk me out of buying a Rickenbacker thread, not a talk me into buying one.

When that is said I once owned one, cause I thought it looked super cool, sounded great and I had the extra money needed for buying one back then.

It wasn't so much the overall quality of it or the hassle with setting it up, which seemed fine to me, that lead me to finally part with again though, I just really disliked the way it felt playing on it.
    The Rickenbacker neck is weird.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    db59 likes this.

5. That's just nuts.

rohi, sikamikanico and saabfender like this.
  6. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    Ha, ha, meant hassle of course, now corrected.

5StringBlues likes this.
  7. :)

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

They do make a very nice Jazz Bass. They appear in classified section occasionally.
    Small builder making hi quality instruments..

9. If it's the looks that you like...
    Home
    How does this one grab ya???
    sparta+-final. Tiberius+4+final.

Lorenzo V likes this.
  10. quindecima

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    Those are really NICE. I like them. I booked your Home site. A little above my price point right now I was at a 2K limit.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Whiners like to whine. Buy what you like, particularly if it’s an older one. You played a ‘91 and liked it. Do you think it’s going to suddenly fall apart?

kentiki and ShiftyFlatwound like this.
  12. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I will never understand why it’s more complicated than buying a bass you like to play.

13. quindecima

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    No, I don't think it is suddenly going to fall apart but I do not want to buy something that has negative issues and there are too many with a Rick that I do not want to deal with.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  14. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Are you talking about Suhrs or Rics? Having owned both, I can tell you that Suhr jazz basses are awesome and of great build quality. Here's mine: Alder body with flame maple top and copper burst finish. This is a killer jazz bass.

suhr1.

Suhr3.

The only knock I ever hear about Suhr basses is that people wish they would do a 5-string or a P (or PJ). They don't; only a jazz bass. (Good thing I like jazz basses. :thumbsup:)

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The new 4003s models are really nice

16. quindecima

Sep 18, 2016
    Walterville, Oregon
    Those are Nice.....there is one at Makenzie music and I am going to go down and play it!

17. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    **Drool**

18. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I have owned and played Rics for nearly 40 years and they’ve always been fantastic for me and have been completely satisfying. Both of mine play great and sound like a million bucks. I’ve never had a single problem - and none of my buddies who’ve owned Rics have either.

My advice is to shop carefully, find one that speaks to you and get it.

BlueMINI likes this.
  19. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    My advice...
    Try to find an Ibanez copy. Sound is better (I know, kill me now), much less expensive, just as well (if not BETTER built) and... having only ONE truss rod makes it simpler to tweak.

I know... I just signed a death warrant.

But, I'm also the guy who prefers His US Masters, over His Pre Gibson Tobias...

basscapes and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  20. BlueMINI

BlueMINI

Sep 10, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    Before you give up on the Ric, call the guys at Wildwood guitars and talk with them about your concerns. Their prices are also a good bit below your spending limit ;) The Rics are fantastic instruments~

jamro217 likes this.