Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm looking for info about MIJ Fender Jazz Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cobweb Strange, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Hello All,
    I have a couple of late 80s Fender Jazz Specials (MIJ). They have Jazz necks and both the "P" and "J" pickups. One of them is my main bass and I love the tone. The other is my backup, but I don't like the tone as well. I think it's the pickups. I'm trying to find out if maybe one of them doesn't have the original pickups or if maybe they just had different pickups from year to year. I'd really like to find another one like the one that I like, but I can't find any information about them. As a result, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone have one of these, know about these or know where I can find more information about them? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Wade

2. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i have one of the basses you are talking about ,drop me a line and i'll tell you all i know, mine is an 87 j/p special (japan)

3. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    when i changed the plastic p/up covers on my newly purchased j/p bass i noticed it had dimarzios on it,and they make the bass 100% better, i did some shopping at local music marts and noticed that all the MIJ's didnt have great p/ups,the were a little bottom end weak,i dont know exactly what p/ups came stock on this bass. though i preffer japan made fenders some of the p/ups that were stock in the 80's were'nt that great(i came to this conclusion after trying out 12-15 different ones)
    my luthier suggested that the best p/ups to use for that model are the dimarzio's,and i agree because they make the bass rock!

PS: mij's rock !:bassist: