1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm looking into analog mixers with effects... HELP!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by drummer5359, Oct 5, 2019.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    The band that I was with for the past six years was using Presonus digital mixers and QSC powered speakers. We had a dedicated sound man. We supplied the gear, he made us sound good.

My new project is three pieces with vocals, playing mainly smaller rooms. We will still be using QSC K 12s as mains and monitors, but we will be mixing from the stage. I have not shopped for a mixing board for a long time. I would prefer something analog, but with digital effects. Admittedly, I want something simple to set up and run. Yamaha, Mackie, Soundcraft, and others make products that fit this profile. I'm thinking of a board with at least sixteen XLR inputs, so that I have room for future projects. HELP!

:D

2. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    One band I am in uses a Soundcraft Signature 12, simple to set up and run from stage. The 22 has more inputs for you.

Zooberwerx and drummer5359 like this.
  3. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Why wouldnt you want a digital system, a tablet on a holder is by far the easiest way to adjust things from the stage.

DirtDog and s0c9 like this.
  4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Put a band on Sat night.. TM30 with router.. mixed the whole 3-set show from my iPad while walking the [ugly] room layout :)
    One of the audience (said he was a bass player) was curious as to how my iPad was running stage sound.. ??? I was a bit surprised at the question..

5. BwanaDust

BwanaDust Commercial User

Apr 11, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Lincoln Learning Solutions - Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center
    I don't know how "old school" you wanna get. I've got a Yamaha MG12XU that I use for solo work and with the trios I play with. Works great. The onboard FX are SPX based, but you don't get a lot of control over them. Of course I have a Lexi PCM91 doing the grunt work. You can find them for a song these days and the reverb sounds you get kick the daylights out of anything not found on 90 percent of your digital consoles.

I use digital boards on my day gig, but I kinda like the sound. I monitor basically the same mix that is coming out the fronts and haven't had anything but compliments on the sound.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    How many AUX mixes do you need?

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    We're still using a Soundcraft Spirit FX16 which I purchased eons ago...it has the onboard Lexicon FX which leaves 3 aux's open for re-assignment (monitors, etc). I was going to say they can be had on the cheap but the consoles still command what I consider to be a respectable price: $250-300. We mix from the stage as we have no dedicated soundguy, too cheap to buy a new console, and are just to dang stubborn to step into the digital arena.

Riis

8. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    If it's working that is awesome I wouldnt change, but in the perspective of having to get something new, I'd recommend digital.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Have to agree with you there. I really don't want to rely on anything that requires a satellite controller (pad, smart phone, etc). None of us is using smart-devices to any extent and I don't see that changing anytime in the near future. That being said, the one console that caught my attention is the QSC TouchMix 16 which dovetails the newer digital technology with conventional attributes like virtual sliders on the display. This is a tangible benefit as I have to learn how the durn thing works then provide some degree of orientation to my band mates. I don't want them getting spooked and avoiding interaction.

Riis

10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You can also add a USB Wifi dongle to the back of the TM16 and give your bandmates control over their own monitor mixes. Yes, you can lock them out of the other stuff :)
    The TM16 works just like any analog console, 'cept stuff (other than gain) is done on the screen. Effect routing is the same, with effect masters and choice of effects available on a specific buss.
    The one thing I don't like about the TM series is that trim/gain controls are manual. :(
    You can save your settings to the console (one for each venue) and recall those the next time you are at that venue.
    I ran FOH for a local band last Sat night using a TM30. I recalled their settings (ch assignments, levels, effects and effect send levels, aux mixes for monitors and so on) for that venue.
    Hooked everything up. Got a line level check on each input - as I mentioned, NO GAIN adjustments via remote interface.
    Sound check took - literally - 2 mins. Half of Mustang Sally, with chorus so I could check harmonies.
    I ran the whole show on my iPad, while walking the room.

Once you make the move to digital and remote access, it's REALLY, REALLY hard to go back to analog. One other thing with the TM is that their "presets" - settings for various types of instruments from kick to trumpet - are pretty darn good starting points.

PS: all that said.. IF I were about to spend $1200 on a DIGITAL console, my choice would be the Soundcraft Ui24R, NOT the TM16. Better all round.. no apps needed to install on device.. touch screen control via HDMI port, built-in Wifi (I'd still use a router tho') plus all the features of the TM16.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    kittywithabanjo and Zooberwerx like this.
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    why? it's not hard at all, far easier in fact. in the probably five years since i've ever mixed or been mixed on an analog board, not once has anybody had a significant problem using a tablet or whatever to run things.

especially now that i'm using in-ears pretty much exclusively, the idea of not being able to just tweak my own mix with my own phone or tablet is pretty much a dealbreaker

s0c9 likes this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I love my signature 16. 3 aux sends 3 Vox, elec guit, acoustic guit, kick.
    Split input on vox send one mains one aux bus, allowing separate eq's for foh, monitor.
    4 separate monitor mixes 3 via aux one via group
    The lexicon effects are easy to get good ambience. Easy for me to control while bass playing overall a great sounding board with a 4 band intuitive semi para dual band mid eq, limiter and highz inputs

jthisdell and kittywithabanjo like this.
  13. my band uses the soundcraft signature 22 ...22 channels, 5 aux 2 stereo sub groups 4 mono..it has dbx limiter on 8 inputs, and the lexicon onboard digital effects..its a great analog board I highly recommend it..really just what you are looking for in my opinion..

/\/\3phist0 and jthisdell like this.