1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm looking into buying my first bass, but I need some help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlashingWolf, Sep 3, 2008.

1. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    Simply put, I want a bass that's:
    -5-string
    -Relatively small, I have little hands
    -Around $500
    -Preferably neck-through, but that's more of an "if it happens, even better" sort of thing

When looking into basses, they tell me a lot of things I don't understand, so I decided to just come to the experts themselves. So far for me, it's been pretty much impossible to find a bass with all those specifications and that still looks good. Thanks in advance.

2. look at cort.

3. Schecter

4. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    Any models in particular?

5. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    G&L Tribute L2500, or a used Lakland 55-01

6. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    That G&L Tribute L2500 seems exactly like what I'm looking for, thank you very much! One last question, is maple or rosewood better for the fretboard?

7. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    maple is usually a tad brighter, but not enough for most people to notice...i vote for whatever you think looks better! (i love maple myself)

8. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Why must your 1st bass be a 5 string?:rollno:

9. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    The G&L is a really nice bass for the money. I'd agree with what p0k said about the maple vs. rosewood fretboards too.

10. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    i'd say an ibanez... thinner/narrower neck... better for smaller hands. (i have decent sized hands, but still prefer their necks.)

say... maybe an SR-305 or 405...
    not too bad on price...
    you can probably find a used one in good condition for a decent price.

[spunj13]

11. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    the L2500 does have a bit thicker neck, so that could be something to consider...you might want to go to a music store and try some out.

12. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    This is actually the second place that recommends a Soundgear. The Ibanez SRX695DX really caught my eye, both in looks and that it has humbuckers. So far, it's really down to that G&L or that Ibanez.

I want my first bass to be a 5-string so that as long as learning will be difficult, I will start on something a little higher tier. Besides, I know that I want to end up playing a 5-string, and I don't really have enough money to spend on re-buying something I already have.

13. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    Any more input on the battle between the G&L Tribute L2500 and the Ibanez SRX695DX?

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If this is your first bass... I sincerely think that you're worrying about what bass is right for you before you even know what your tastes are, or what your hands prefer...

Don't spend a lot... get something that feels good to you and sounds acceptable. Your hands and ear will push you different directions from there for the rest of your life depending on what you're playing, who you're playing with, and your musical tastes at that given time. They ALL change... usually way to frequently.

Seriously...

15. If you can find a G&L Tribute, I'd jump on it. One of the best sounding basses for the money, build, quality, tones, all are great.;)

16. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    Thank you very much, I'll keep that advice in mind. For the record, I'm going to buy the Ibanez SRX595.

17. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    Argh, and then you throw that on me. XD I'll keep looking for a bit, I suppose.

18. Good choice, nice bass, I think you'll be very pleased. Keep us posted on how it plays and sounds when you get it.;)

19. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008
    Wow, two same-time posts in a row. At this point, I'm debating the strangest things between the two. "Yeah, the Ibanez looks a bit cuter, but the Tribute brings a gig bag..."

20. SlashingWolf

SlashingWolf

Sep 3, 2008