Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm looking into some FX...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    OK, so basically in my new band the other members want me to get some FX. I can already do overdrive on my 400+, but I need delay, chorus, reverb, would like phaser but not necessary, flanger, and any other FX you think I could use. I have about $200 and don't mind going used. What would you recommend?

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Ooooh, I just sold my ME-50B for just about that last month. Look for another used ME-50B unit, they are a good multi-effect package.

3. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Delay - Echo Park or Dane Echo

Chorus - Danelectro cool cat or boss chorus

Phaser - phase 90

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I recomend going with good quality pedals and integrating them into your playing one at a time. That way you really get to know how each effect fits your style without getting overwhelmed by a complex multFX thingie.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The reason I'd like to have a multi FX is so that I could stick it in a rack. But I suppose that I could use pedals as well...

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How much do those ME-50B units run? And what company makes em? I have very little experience with using FX other than occasionally messing around with the FX on my mixer...

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Boss, $300 new

8. I would SO suggest the Me-50 B. The Gt-6bs are crap. Even for studios. I think they were designed for bar bands, while the Me-50b is really for the gigging musician.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i agree. the me-50b was one of my first pedals. it will give you a decent grounding the different sorts of effects available. once you get into fx a bit more though you might find like i did that you prefer single pedals. but that is ok because boss gear usually holds its value fairly well.

10. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I would say that you should just try and work your way up... Buy some cheap single units - then as you outgrow them buy somthing better. This way you can weed out what you don't like/use, and find YOUR sound... I have owned dozzens and dozzens of pedals, at one time I had over 40 - but I am a freak...

There are 3 kinds of pedal buyers out there:
    1. Try before you buyers
    2. Buy then tryers
    3. People who spend too much time reading about them, like me...

cheers

Alex

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    With the ME-50B, can you hear the FX at high volumes? From what I gather from a good friend, some FX units can't even be heard at high volume on a bass amp (I use a Mesa 400+ through a 215), and I don't go into the PA. And one reason I'm not trying my hardest to get out and try one is that I figure I can't even come close to getting how the unit works down in the amount of time I would spend trying it out. The FX I really need though are delay, echo, chorus, and reverb. Will the ME-50B do these at loud volumes?