1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm looking to buy a used combo amp for under $250 and between 50 and 150 watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean775, May 8, 2015.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Which brands and models should I look for? I'm looking at the used section on Guitar Center's site.

I play a passive MIM Jazz Bass and I mostly play classic and alternative rock, in case those would help in recommending an amp.

Linnin likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Take a close look at the second generation Fender Rumble 150 and 350 combos. They are excellent. Loud & reliable with great tone.

3. You never know what you'll run into on the NJ CL's - lots of 'traffic' there translates to a wide variety of equipment. Most of it is equipment that has been replaced with the newer, lighter equivalents. If weight is not an issue, or you are going for the maximum watts and cab size go for it. If you could stretch your budget another $50 (only $20 with a 10% coupon), consider the Fender Rumble 100. Just what you are looking for, but weighs only 22 lbs! The new Carvin combos seem well liked, and have a more mid-centered tone (relative to the Fender's bass-rich tone).

Linnin likes this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Old Peavey. They last forever and you can probably get 300 watts for $250.

JollySpudd likes this.
  5. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    What about A GK Backline 115?

6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    My first thought whenever I see a tight budget is old Peavey. A couple questions would probably help. What kind of music do you play? Do you want to use it to play clubs? How loud does your band get? Do you have PA support? I'd always rather have too much power than not enough.

7. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I just mainly want it as a practice amp. I play various types of rock, but generally nothing too heavy. I'm not in a band anymore, but if I do eventually join another one I'd have no problem spending more money on an amp for shows.

8. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Hartke kickback. Definitely within your stated budget , works well for practicing and gigs. Not too hard to find on Craigslist. Put a vt bass pedal in front of it- sounds great!

9. Definitely an old peavey tko or tnt. You would probably be able to get one for $100, and with more watts

10. JollySpudd

JollySpudd Guest

Jul 17, 2013
    I like my Peavey - craigslist - $10 - from some guy who bids on storage lockers :) - Black Widow 15" - dual HF horns that I only use slightly on occasion. 210 Watts, 50 lbs, but put it on wheels, added extra handles. -- it's a Reno 400 - designed for electric/acoustic guitar originally, but has great mid EQ flexibility, plenty of bottom, built in compressor, fx loop, Hammond Accutronics reverb - all cool for me as I do acoustic guitar live as well. But it has some of the same componants as Peavey bass combos I've looked at from the same era - it's circa 1989. -- Taken a little tech freshening up, but for what I paid - love it for my needs. Peavy :)

11. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    You just need to play everything you can get your hands on. GK, Ampeg, Peavey...everything. Play and listen to everything you can and let your ears make the choice!

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  12. I picked up a barely used Fender Rumble 150, 1x15 off Craigslist a couple years back for $200. Use it to practice with my hobby band--fairly heavy handed drummer and mic'd guitar going through PA (blues and classic rock, with at least one alternative choice). It hangs fine. I also have a Peavey head and cab. I would think either the Peavey or Fender combo would do the trick and come in at that price. Good luck.

Shaun

13. Don't overlook powered PA cabinets. I just picked up a Mackie TH-12A used in near mint condition for just over $200.00. I went into the store looking for a small bass amp to use in one of two projects I'm involved with, but they didn't have anything that interested me. I happened to see this Mackie, which I needed for my PA in a second project, so I decided to try it out. I noticed that it has a built in preamp with Bass, sweepable Mid, and Treble, so out of curiosity, I asked the store owner to hook it up for me. While he was hooking it up, I went outside and got my bass. I plugged the bass in and was stunned at the sound. Now I know how they came up with the name: Thump. Needless to say, it is now in my home. I may eventually get an Ampeg SCR-DI, but as of yet, I'm not sure I really need one.
    [​IMG]