Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm looking to buy new strings. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Mar 4, 2001.

1. I play a Fender Standard Mexican and I've been using the same strings that were on there since i bought it in the summer. I'm thinking of getting new strings for it but i don't know what kind of strings to get. I don't know what kind of strings are on there now so does anyone have any advice for what strings I should get?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, Rage, if you bought it new, and it's a Precision or Jazz (I don't think there's a model called a "Mexican"), it would have had Fender 7250 ML's on it. These are nickel plated roundwounds, and not too bad, IMO. If you want a similar string you could buy Fender 7250 ML's ;) , GHS Boomers, or Ernie Ball Slinkys. If you want something with a little more "rage", you could use DR's, Rotosound 66's, Dean Markley Super Bass or something like that. It all depends on the sound you want.

3. i just put ernie ball slinky's on my five string fender mex less then a week ago, lovin em!!!

4. Leave the name alone! ;) Anyway I play a Fender Jazz Bass. Thanks for the advice though.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    *cough*D'addario XL...*cough*

6. I love my D'Addario Slowounds! :D

7. I use DR sunbeams (Med) on my '62 fender jazz re-issue and they really make it sing.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    those and blue steels are my string of choice

9. :D

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for Slowounds.
    XL's would be my next choice.