Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Lookn to buy a bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Williams, Aug 9, 2005.

1. I'm looking to minor in music in college. My current bow is a german Estman. I'm looking to get somethin in the $500- 700. DOes anyone have suggestions?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Carbows have a great reputation and are in the $700 - $1000 range to start. Maybe check one of those out. They're reputed to get the sound and response of a pernambuco stick in the price range of twice the Carbow's cost. Plus they're nearly indestructible and have a serial number, so in the event the that it gets lost or stolen (and you loved it), you could get an exact copy made.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Not to question your advice Ray, but reports of Carbows having "the sound and response of a pernamuco stick in the price range of twice the Carbow's cost" give my eyebrow a little nudge. If the price vs. quality comparison is that dramatic, then why are people still using pernambuco bows? It might be that musicians are notoriously traditionalists when it comes to things like that, I guess.

Just asking a question that bears asking.

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I sold my DeLuccia bow after buying a Carbow Grunberger. I couldn't see having a $5000 bow sitting around when the $1000 Carbow pulled a comparable sound and was as just as easy to play.

5. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    I have played some eastman sticks, they aren't bad. If you are just going to minor in college I don't think there is a huge need to buy something a ton better than that, stick with what ya got.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Looks like I'll be enjoying a fine meal of my own words tonight. Maybe one of those Carbow sticks'd be a fine investment after the AI Contra...

...at this rate, I'll never quit KFC before I go to university. Ugh.

7. Unless carbon bows have improved a lot in the last couple years, I'll take the $500 pernambuco stick any day. Sorry, but I don't dig plastic bows, even if they technically perform well.

8. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    +1 for Carbow

naturally they aren't as good as expensive pernambuco sticks. But, for the money, I would rather have the carbow than a low-q stick.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Not to be argumentative, but in saying 'plastic' are you maybe confusing carbon fiber and fiberglass?

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Carbon fiber = polyacrylonitrile
    Fiberglass = glass

11. Nope. I know the difference between carbon and fiberglass; I just don't like bows made from anything other than wood. I prefer vinyl to CDs, too... :eek:

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I don't like teh feel of carbon fiber basses or bows either.. as far as vinyls though, I would have one hell of a time carrying around my 400+ cd's in vinyl form...:D

13. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I must admit that pernembuco bows are more interesting to look at.

14. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I bought a great used German pernambuco bow from the Cincinnati Bass Cellar for $600. I gave them a credit card number and they sent me 5 or 6 bows in my price range to try. Bought the one I liked and returned the rest. Other dealers will do this, too.

15. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    I'm planning on checking out the Tom Owen bows when the boss (my wife) allows me to purchase a better bow. I've read good things about them in the $700 price range.

16. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
  17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I know, I know, I know, ...

I was just making sure that the deserved bad reputation of fiberglass bows wasn't being intermingled with carbon fiber bows, which are well liked (for what they are) by many. :)

18. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Why?

19. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    Someone take a peek on that ebay link i put up. Is that a quality bow or a scam?

20. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    No way of knowing without playing it. It's nice to look at. He does offer a 7 day money back guarantee so you'd only be out the shipping cost if you don't like it.