I'm losing my mind-can't decide on new rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Aug 25, 2002.

1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've been looking for a new rig for over a year now, have tried virutally every product on the market, and still can't seem to come up with what I'm looking for. I play Fender 4-strings in a Blues-rock/clasic-rock/jam band outfit with two lead guitarists playing through Marshall half-stacks. I need something that is portable and punchy, but that will be able to cut through and find its own sonic space within the band.

My personal preference is for 10"s, and I'm wondering if 2 2X10 cabs will supply enough low end for what I'm looking for? I was thinking about a 2X10 & 1X15 combo, but all of the 15s I've played haven't been at tight and punchy as I would like. However, I have two Fender Bassman amps for practice (an OLD 60 and a new 100), and both of those cabs go a great job....of being both punchy AND filling out the bottom without being too woofy and sloppy.

Without telling me to run out an buy a Bag End stack of 15s, is anyone using 2 2X10 cabs in a similar context, and do you think that it will provide enough support without being lost in the "midrange wars" between two guitarists? I've literally run out of options...I need HELP! :confused:
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Musician's Friend (or Foe, depending on your POV) has this SWR rig that I would look into if I needed that much.

Don't lose your mind over it; you'll need it again when you're undecided! :)
  3. I use a 1x15 and 2x10 rig - my band is quite loud, 2 guitarists, and it cuts through fine. I was toying with the idea of adding another 2x10, but as its not an emergency, it'll wait for GAS CASH. The 15 is great for low end, but the perceived volume is low if you're right in front of it - once you move out 10 or so feet, you can really feel it.

That said, what head do you plan on using? Why not get a 4x10 (portability? I've found a 4x10 takes up the same footprint in my backseat as a 2x10 - 2 2x10's would be twice the footprint).

Anyhow, I've seen many a bassist in bands like yours playing Fenders that sound great through Ampeg rigs (and I'm not a huge Ampeg fan) using 4x10's or 8x10's (which isnt portable :) )
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    My recommendation to you would be to get the Fender Bassman 350 head and matching 4x10 and 1x15 cabs. I believe they sell these at www.samash.com.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    More Detail:

I will be using a Steward World 2.1 with an SWR IOD preamp. I really like the Epi 2X10 and the Berg 2X10, but was wondering if that would be enough...or if I should factor a Bag End 1X15 into the mix. However, I did just try out the new Ampeg Probass 2X10 and was REALLY impressed...and at 32lbs a pop, I could stack them up and carry them around on my head as if carrying water back to the village! :) Keep those suggestions coming!!!
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you are interested in bag end 15's, get hold of me. I have 2 that I would like to sell or trade. I'm downstate so it's within driving distance.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try 2 Eden 2-10 cabs, or a 4-10.

Theyve got more than enough low end, and this is a comment comming from a guy who plays through a massive 2-15 cab. Eden makes the only 10's I will play.

If you want the extra low end of a 15 with the punch of a 10, you could also try out some 12's.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden D-410XLT or XST. You can probably get away with just one, if you have at least 600 watts to drive it. Forget 15's. They just mush up your sound.

9. Well, we should have seen it coming :) Hey, my Eden 1x15 SOUNDS GREAT!!!
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I feel like I'm partially to blame for your confusion, Jay. ;) I still favor tight 15s. (Away, Munji! Get down! Quit drooling on me!)

Like DiN has found, I'm really amazed at what my Bags sound like at 25' - it really "polishes" the sound.

However, did you ever get a chance to try 12s? Were they fast enough? I was happy enough with the Bag 15s that I never seeked out anyone's 12s to demo for an extended period - just a few quick listens.

Since you keep coming back to 10s, maybe you should follow your ear and get a pair of those Ampigs!
  11. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ashdown ABM500 with mini 4x8 and mini 1x15. That will rock.
  12. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002

I could never understand how you all could get a deep bass tone without a nice 15" or 18" bottom. It has a job... to carry your highs from your 10" to the crowd. IMO but everyone has any opinion right?
    I truly think you will get confused as he11 going through these threads of opinions. Go with what you like and use for your style.
    Cheers to all
  13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    If you want 10s with low end, have you looked into Acme B2 or B2W? Portable, punchy, deep, and...um, almost loud.
  14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Maybe a 3x10 cab would be the answer.?.?.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I have a D-115XL, and I used it at my last gig, sitting on top of my 410XLT. I'd suggest looking at the specs of the Eden 410's versus the 15's. The 410 provides the bottom, not the 15's. The 15's bring out the low mids, a frequency range I disdain. I must confess that the 15 does stand out in the mix OK, though.
  16. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    For an ordinary 4 string, a 2x10 does it.
    For example, Eden (incl Nemesis), Tech Soundworks....
  17. In a midrange war I would go with what cabinets excel in the midrange dept..........namely a 4x10 or 2 2x10's (like you suggested).

I have had the same problem that you mentioned, I play in a death metal band with two guitars, i.e. two marshall stacks! I currently use a SWR Goliath III 4x10 with a SWR twelve pack (2x12) on top of that I must say that I cuts through whatever guitar solo they can muster. 400W (through a workingman's 4004) works fine with it.

I would definately look at the Goliath III.......or they do sell a 8x8 (called henry the 8x8) as well that could do the trick.

Happy thumping..........
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Eden 4-10XST.

Ive heard that it has a lower bass response than the XLT, and Ive also heard something about extra upper midrange.

Ive never had the chance to try one though :(

19. For low end and 10's, Ampeg SVT-410HLF