Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm losing the ability to hold a pick.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, May 17, 2004.

1. I play primarily pick-style, because I play alot of chord voicings, and a languid, sweeping approach, and the pick helps the attack... but lately, if I play a tad aggressively, my hand keeps locking in a way where my thumb won't cooperate, and will spring out... muscle-lock type stuff. All the way up my forearm.

I stay hydrated, and I'm not playing hard to compensate for volume deficiencies, but if there are some heavy-duty passages going on, I need the pick to sweep thru it cleanly. I can get by finger-style, but it's not the same.

I've been using a velcro-ed wrist guard to somewhat good effect, but by the end of the set my wrist is killing me. It's almost like the compression is worse, instead of the intent to "ease up" on motion causing pain.

Is this onset of carpal tunnel?

2. sheepdip

sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    Here is some good advice.go see an orthopedic surgeon and let him look at your hand.

3. Ron,

I have to agree with sheepdip. I think we've discussed this on another occasion. You could be experiencing symtoms from some type of repetitive stress injury such as CTS or perhaps you could have tenonitis. Get thee to a doctor ASAP my friend.

Jeff

4. Thanks. Yeah, this has been going on for a little while, and coincidentally, I do have an appointment, I just wanted to throw it out there to see if there were any insights.

Thanks for your concerns.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For a little while i noticed the back of my left wrist/hand hurt after playing. I took it as early signs of a repetetive stress thing and stopped playing for a week, and then eased my way back into it. Its fine now. Have you taken breaks from playing? if this has been going on a while it may be too late to just take a break from it, you might need to get it looked at. (probably a good idea anyway).