1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm LOVIN' The SQUIER! Here's Why...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plangentmusic, Nov 5, 2010.

1. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I recently recorded a new CD of old classics and one of them was done so many times, I wanted to give it a new twist. As it turned out, I put a lot of emphasis on the bass -- especially in the bridge. (Though I played all the instruments).

I used several basses on the album, but on this track, the Squier J Deluxe just hit the mark -- to me. Solid, fat, clean, clear -- everything I want from a bass. It's ridiculous that it's so cheap.

Here ya go...

I just uploaded this. Any comments, questions, suggestions and feedback of any kind is welcome.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Great clip, I see you appreciate the bottom musically and visually!:D

The Squier sounds like a Jazz bass should.:bassist:

3. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    True on all counts. Thanks. :)

4. Nice visuals to go along with the music!!!

I try to tell everyone that if you didn't know what bass was used for a recording, who cares what the name is on the headstock.

Sounds great!

5. Cool...

6. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    Very cool.... I just passed on an opportunity to play in a "surf " band , After seeing that I may have to reconsider.

7. Great music Nelson,,, any chance you could post a pic of your Squier Bass that you used?:hyper:

8. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Just a stock Deluxe jazz in sunburst. I ordered it online! lol!

9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Thanks. Here's some more bass heavy surf madness that might make you reconsider that gig.

Then again, I did't have anyone telling me what I should and shouldn't do! lol!

10. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Incidentally, all the guitar part were also played on a Squier.

11. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    That's some killer stuff man....

12. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Nice work,well done....I have a Classic Vibe P & it sounds as good as my 72 P. Not bad for $200 ;)

13. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Some pics...72 on the left.

14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    There was bass on those vids??? guitars??? The visuals were too distracting to notice! LOL. Seriously, it sounds great.

15. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Thanks to all. And yeah, I guess I cheated in getting some attention with those pics. : ) Hey, whatever works! lol

I think this post makes a few points though...

A bass not only doesn't need to be handcrafted from exotic woods, sometimes a more basic instrument has the more solid sound.

Squier is doing something really extraordinary right now.

Stop looking at other musicians as opponents. We ALL make music and the instrument is just a tool.

Surf music (although not what I ever considered to be my main thing) is just way f*ck*ng cool!

16. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Hey..... I've listened to this version of Pipeline a few times now and I'm really starting to like it. Time to hit the beach in a low riding Impala with a couple boards stickin out the back.

Rezdog

17. I just love that great bass line....The mix is perfect too...Great Stuff!

18. Wow, hard to believe. What did you send it through for the recording? Sounds almost fretless

19. +1. Rocco Prestia stated in Bass Player that it's just a piece of wood

20. This is so NICE sounding!!! +1 for Squiers.....
    This would be a neat tune to work on at lessons too...