1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

im loving these D'Addario strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ghostjs, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    theyre nickel roundwounds and they sound really punchy with a pick on my Jazz bass (stock pups also!)

my question is:
    how long will my strings last (i dont really treat my strings with anything)

and if they dont last long, what strings would you suggest (less than $30)

2. The answer depends on:
    How much you play
    Whether you wash your hands before you play
    How much you sweat
    Whether you slap/pop
    Whether you keep your bass in the case when not playing
    How humid it is where you live
    etc.

Perhaps even more important, how much do you like the sound of brand new strings? I've heard of pro session players changing strings a couple of times a day during studio work, and I've also heard of people using the same set for 10 years. You just have to figure out what works for you.

3. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    D'addario nickel XL's are my fave roundwound. If you like them already, you'd be hard pressed to beat them for the price.

4. I put a set on my 2008 MIA Jazz in December, and they are only now starting to lose the brightness. But they were TOO bright for the first month, for my taste.

Roger

5. i had a pack of d'addarios a friend gave to me last summer.they lasted a long time.the A string still rings like brand new

6. i play a jazz as well currently baring d'addarios, i find they do not last long and stay bright for very long at all, particularly the E string. about to change to some rotosounds.

7. For me they last a long time except the last 2 sets I had, the A string went dead after a month.

8. What are you guys sayin?
    I've been using this crap for more than a year now, but I had to change them every other week. If you play home - fine, then why bother playing at all, but if you gig - these strings will die the next day. Sweat kills them instantly, even if you wipe them down all the time. HHumidity kills them, heat kills them, everything kills them. Mine loose their clarity after a couple of days, and die completely after 3 weeks.

Verdict: worthless crap.

9. i've been using these strings for a while now, i love them, im not overly keen on a big bright sound so they keep nice for a while, plus i use hand sanitizer before i play to clean my hands and wipe down afterwards, also play a Jazz

10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The XLs die fairly quickly and do not sound great when they start to go dead, at least in my experience. I'd suggest DR Sunbeams if you like nickels. They die eventually too, but they sound much better when they do.

11. I completely agree. DR are just that much more resiliant. I was only able to get the Sunbeams once, cause round here they were difficult to come by back then. Now I'm a fan of SS Lo-Riders. I bought the XL's because the price was just, they were readily available and sounded great new.

I can't recommend a product, that doesn't live up to normal usage. Cause when you gig - you don't have time to sanitize your hands, you don't have time to wash your hands - you jump on stage, you jump around, you sweat under the immmmmmmmmmmmense heat of the spotlights and you don't have the ability to wipe the sweat off your bass. SR stand up to that. D'Addaio XL's don't. I bought a set of their EPS strings today, gonna give those a shot

12. savagehenry4

savagehenry4

Apr 26, 2009
    bay
    d'addario pro steels last a while, and the sound is real punchy

13. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I really dig the sound of the d'addario nickles, but they do tend to die fast. After buying a new set every other week, I caved and got some Elixirs. They are twice as much, and are a bit more "dead" than the d'addarios for pick playing, but my hands get real sweaty, so I'll just have to deal.

14. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    This is so untrue. I gig for a living and always take the time to wipe down my bass. As for keeping your hands clean,I carry with me a little sqeeze depencer of hand sanitizer. When I play out,it seemes everybody wants to shake your hand. After I shake hands with somebody ,or even between songs,I put some on my hands and clean them,works very well. As for sweating,I don't jump around and act like Steve Harris, or do any "showboating" or exreme stage antics, so I don't really sweat too much,even under hot stage lights. I am hired to play bass,not act like a rock star. Steve

15. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Rotosounds are designed to peak and die early. You will be disapointed if you are looking for longevity.

16. Untrue. the Rotosounds have already lasted longer than the D'Addarios.

17. I have had very good results with DAddario XL's on My Sadowsky and Roscoe ..they last about 3 months for me, but I don't sweat much, I don't slap much and I play with a pretty light touch. I prefer these strings over DR Sunbeams because they aren't as bright. They seem to "break in quicker" and lose that new string twangy sound.