Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm mad @ Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Master P, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    I have just learned that the guys at Carvin are not looking out for the best interests of the average Joe Bass guy. Evidently they are more interested in making money:eek:
    Like a bunch of you guys I recently got the new Carvin catalog with the 35" scale basses on the cover. I went nuts because it was the answer to the only problem I've ever had with my Carvin 5 string.
    A couple of years ago I bought one of their kits. I did it because I just wanted to build the thing and see what I could do. What I had when I finished was a terrific bass.(versatile tones, great looks, very comfortable playing bass). My only problem with the bass was that the B was loose.
    The day after I got the new catalog I called to see if they would sell me a 35" scale neck to retro-fit on my 5. They said under no circumstances would they sell me a bolt on 35" neck. Now to be fair they don't make a bolt on version of the 35" scale but I told them I had no problem buying the prototype. They said NO!!! But they would be happy to sell me a new bass. Dang Capitalists!!!
    I hope everybody realizes this has been written with the tongue firmly planted in the cheek.;)

Stay Hard,
    Master P

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i hear ya man... the 34" scale was my only gripe when buying my LB75PF. but when it came i was pleasantly suprised by a pretty tight B string... and that was with the factory flatwounds on it. i got sick of the flats and put some DR hibeams on it... now that thing is tight as ever. its an easy fix, go and get some good quality stirings (not the carvin crap that comes on the bass) the necks are very stable, so you could go up in gauge if you wanted to. i went up to a .125 roundwound B string. yes that is thicker than the stock B. defenitly an improvement. yeah i wish i woulda waited a year, and got teh 35" scale. but im an impatient little bastard now arent i?

3. Yep, there's just about no way they can do something like that. They are in the near-custom business (something I'm very accustomed to), and really don't have time to develop pieces and parts for everyone, and eat all the R&D money it takes to get something like that working.

Besides, the new carvins are 35 1/4" scale, and use a standard sized body and neck. Then the move the bridge back and rescale the neck to a 22 fret neck. So in order to do a bolt on, they'd have to make an entirely new neck. I know I wouldn't want to be the project manager that takes that task on.

And I will not be staying hard. Ewww.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    So your new bass isnt making you go "uhhh, na na nana, na na nana"? I hope someone gets that...:D

5. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I was thinking of putting one of their kits together. Was it as nice as something you would have bought assembled.( if you do it right)
    I was actually thinking of purchasing a warmouth dinky J body and using a carvin neck. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

6. Uh one thing, that is the same agenda every other corperation has... you think people make quipment to be friendly, hell no, they make it, martket it, and sell it to make money. Although it would be nice if they did just make them for the love of the quipment.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    leo fender made G&L out love rihgt?
    i am sure that every company started out as love for the equipment bought then the money started flowing in and then,they have a thought if i make more in korea i can make more money then raise the prices of american basses to make even more money!!!!

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    :confused: The only thing I can think of is Alexia?

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Um, you did notice that Master P was saying this tongue-in-cheek, right?

10. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Hey SRS...... I didn't even waste time putting the Carvin (Ernie Ball?) strings on my 5. I've been playing Hi-beams for years. Love 'em. Like everybody I read on talkbass, I want it all. I'm looking for that piano-like fundamental on the B and I'm not getting it from the bolt on 5. I also play a thru-body fretless 5 from Carvin and the B isn't getting it done for me. I might try a .130 gauge. See if that helps. I got the new BP yesterday and worked up wood over that new Dingwall and the Kinal in the same issue.

11. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Fbregy...... I would suggest the Carvin kit to anybody wanting to do this. It's relatively simple. The only mildly difficult part is the soldering.I've soldered for years but if you have no experience with it you should practice with junk wire before you try it on the circuit board. As to using a warmoth body and a Carvin neck I would advise against it. My reasoning is that the neck/body joint is so crucial to success in any bass that you should use body and neck from the same place.
    Also remember that the project we're talking about isn't luthiery in any sense. This is assembly. Nothing more. But it's still fun. Especially the finishing aspect. I stained the body a deep reddish oak color and tung oiled it. I stained the front of the headstock to match the body and tung oiled the whole thing. I paid extra for the gold hardware and added a picture of my daughter on the back of the headstock. It's a beautiful bass and I'm very proud of it.
    Master P

12. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Tufnuts....
    My son, you must realize that if you don't stay hard it is impossible to bring it with feelin'.......

13. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Thank You Richard....
    Nothing hurts a jolly fat man more than having his humor ignored.

14. What about the "stay hard" part??

15. I've always used a .125 or larger, I had a set of Everly Bass Rockers that was a .130, and I it felt HUGE, the stock strings on my bass were .45-.126 and it was a nice feel, with a super tight B...

16. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    Just a cultural reference from a local sportsradio station here in Dallas.........

17. What?? Dingwall and Kinal in the same issue. I must get this magazine now.

Geoff

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Glad the wood got you hot.....because if you read the review of the Kinal you'll find out it sucks pond water in a major way, especially at that price.

FWIW - Write to the Carvin Board of Directors about your situation. That was the only way I could get what I really wanted out of Carvin when I had a problem with them.

It may take longer, but the service people there aren't empowered to do what you asked for.

19. Master P

Master P

Mar 26, 2002
    I remember a review on a Kinal 5 a couple of years ago where BP raved about the bass. The tag line of the review was "I don't know how Kinal makes a bass of this quality at this price." Evidently, Kinal must have read the review cause the new one is 4-500 bucks more.
    By the way, I think you might be reading a little more into the review than I did. I read about some minor finish settling and one other small item. Other than that I read about a pretty good axe.
    But having read some of your other posts I'm thinking you're an all or nothing kind of guy, Rick.
    Stay Hard..........
    Master P

20. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Haha, no Master P is a rapper/producer that put out a song with the chorus "Make ya say uhh, na na nana, na na nana" a few years ago.