I'm metal stupid.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've been hearing alot about some of these so called "death", "black", & "doom" metal bands lately. I can't even pronounce, much less spell, these band names, but here goes: Dimir Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Opeth, etc. What gives with these bands? I've heard it's like symphonic metal or something. What bands should I be checking out?

For the record, I like Meshuggah, but that's about as hard as I get in my listening. I think that's the only true metal band I listen to besides Pantera. I'm sure I'm missing alot. Educate me. I'm listening.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you want to check out only one band, choose Opeth.

Death meets prog meets rock meets folk

Indescribable, really. Some of the greatest <B>music</b> out there today.

Get Blackwater Park as a primer, but really anything except maybe Orchid.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ion Dissonance
    Misery Index
    In Flames
    Dark Tranquility
    At The Gates
    Fear Factory
    In Flames
    Morbid Angel
    Napalm Death
    Brutal Truth

That's about as good a primer as you're going to find. Download, listen, rock. Some old, some new, some seminal, some just good.

4. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    Great suggestions from everyone so far. Opeth is ridiculously good.

from a less "death" and "black" side of metal you might also want to check out some of these bands, they are usually labeled "power metal" , lots of classical sounding melodies with loads of double bass drumming and haunting epic arrangements....

Blind Guardian

Gamma Ray

Nightwish (I have yet to meet any metal fan who doesn't love Nightwish, they have a female opera singer chick who is amazing)

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And hot!
  6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't dig them. :oops:

The classical singing (and metal) ruins it for me.

I prefer Lacuna Coil.
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

8. LeftyBassPlayer

LeftyBassPlayer Guest

Apr 2, 2004
    You have to go with Opeth they are awsome.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have no idea what you people see in Opeth, I really don't. Not even on metal terms, but period. I've listend to Blackwater Park, MorningRise, and My Arms, Your Hearse, and I still don't understand why people think they're the bees knees.
  10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Maybe watch Lamentations. If you don't get it then, maybe Reggae is more your thing...
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know, it's just one of those things. I can't enjoy Opeth, and I've tried, but there's just nothing that appeals to me about their music. You'd think with all the music I listen to, I'd be able to find something I like, but I just can't. Says the guy with death metal, 80s synthpop, hardcore, big band, rockabily, alt rock, grindcore, ska, bluegrass, downtempo and top 40 pop on the same playlist; so I figure it's not genre bias or anything.

I just don't like them. Go figure.
  12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, but watch the DVD, and we'll talk about this again. ;)
  13. They're certainly one of the best bands in 'death' metal right now but I don't really get into them either. I like it every now and then. Maybe I'm too necro for my own good but they're just too laid back for me most of the time.

You might wanna check out some proggy metal bands too...

symphony x
    vitalij kubrij
    spiral architect (great bassist!)
    gordian knot
    pagan's mind
    pain of salvation
    porcupine tree
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What do you see in the DVD that you don't get on the albums?

I love opeth (just went to their Sydney show last week), but to be honest whilst the DVD is awesome and its great to have a live playlist from them, its not significantly different from their recorded versions.

OTOH the documentary is very very cool :)
  15. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Emperor is good black metal.
  16. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Brutal death:
    Cannibal Corpse
    Spawn of Possession (great debut)

more progressive metal:
    Children of Bodom (a bit cheesy at times but excellent thrashing...along the style of In Flames)
    Gorguts (the height of musicianship and originality...especially Obscura)

Grindcore (sort of death sort of hardcore):
    Black Dahlia Murder (best album of 2003)
    Misery Index (for some reason they get compared to BDM a lot but I personally think BDM is far ahead of the game)
    Carcass (I'm partial to the later stuff)
    Soilent Green

Hardcore/math metal:
    Ion Dissonance
    Red Chord
    Into the Moat
    Between the Buried and Me (brilliant album)
    Through the Eyes of the Dead
    Ed Gein (very Dillinger-ish)
    Mastodon (Remission has to be one of the loudest in your face records...very original)
    Killswitch Engage (new album End of Heartache is quite good ;) :ninja: )

Lamb of God is some solid rocking too.

I'm not too big on black metal...just know the basic bands...Dimmu Borgir, Cradle, Emperor, Satyricon, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, etc.
    Not my cup of tea but some high points.

I'm sure I'll regret not putting some other names up there...but that's a good start.
    These past couple of years have been good to metal.

While I like Opeth...it's hard to consider them death metal...Part time death metal maybe. Deliverance is my favorite of their's at the moment.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's probably your hatred of weenie metal. :smug:

Yeah, aside from Opeth... seriously, listen to Opeth, check out Probot (Dave Grohl's metal side project). It's a nice metal "sampler" and I think he did a fairly good job capturing the musical styles of all the guest artists. Because are you talking metal in general or are you looking for black/symphonic/doom/whatever metal bands. Because if you are looking to get into metal in general, don't be afraid to listen to some old stuff. Iron Maiden, Pre and Justice for all Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Death, hmmm Black Sabbath. ;)

I hear you on the pronouciation issue, my god it gets confusing. That's why I don't talk about metal bands to metal guys, they end up having to correct me on band names quite often. Ha, for quite a while I thought Deicide (Dee-uh-side)
    were just called Decide. And that one is pretty easy.

Opeth, for example... Oh-peth or O-pith.

:bag: I need to start a thread about the band name's I can't pronounce.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Stachio pretty much covered... everything.
  19. dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    I think it's stupid to try to class metal bands nowadays. Of course, there are some that are clearly death, black, power, etc. but most of the newer bands are generally trying to combine 2 or 3 styles.

In the mid-late 90's it was still quite easy to sort the bands in the categories but not anymore. There are so many metal bands trying to make their fortune, everyone trying to find out something new...

BTW, do you consider bands like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and others "metal" bands?

- From "the promised land of metal" (Finland)
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Some would, but then again, some smoke crack.