Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Mixing BB King!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Apr 23, 2002.

1. I knew that the company I work for got the contract for a couple of arena shows with BB King and that I was going as systems engineer. Today I was told that they're not carrying FOH or Monitor engineers. Apparently, BB's management told our management to sent the best techs..... They picked me to mix FOH! I'm stoked about it. Big rig, big console, big artist! Normally, I get to set up and calibrate the PA, but the artist usually has an engineer, so I don't actually get to mix very often at big shows (although, there are lots of times where the audience might be better off if I did! :p). I hear that he's a real gentleman and a pleasure to work for, too. anyone know who his bassist is?

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Nice one! :D

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Way cool, SG!! Congratulations. That'll be a really cool gig.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, Mark! That is a heck of a gig!:cool:

5. Congrats man!! That's Great!! :cool:

6. I'm not sure who his bassist is, but I know that he plays a Surf Green USA Jazz. When I saw BB here at Cornell a year ago, the bass was just about the only thing that sounded good, but that was the venue's fault--Barton Hall, our old fieldhouse, is basically an aircraft hangar.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So... need a backup? :D

Congrats, Spacegoat. I hope it's a good time for you. Me, I have a sudden craving for a Whopper...

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Good call, if you're FOH it should be pretty easy to get a tape off the board, hey? ;)

10. Who's kidding?

Please? Pretty please? Pretty, pretty please? Pretty please with a little cherry on top? Pretty please with a little cherry and a little cream on top? Pretty, pretty please with a cherry and a lot of cream on top?

Great gig, mano.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is Front of House? I've noticed that at larger shows there are two mixers, one right next to the stage and one out in front. Are these the monitor and FOH mixers?

Oh yeah nice gig!

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Spacegoat excellent gig you got there.... Tell BB I said hello. We used to hang back in the day.....

Ok so maybe we didn't... but umm... could you get his autograph and give it to me??? :D

13. Well, I think it will be fun. They seem to be pretty easy to deal with. It's a great rig, the PA is all Meyer Self Powered Series with a brand new Midas XL-4 console, for anyone who's into live sound...... Anyone who's not won't care :p. I will be recording the shows. They've asked for a DAT machine for recording. I may ask them for a copy, but I probably shouldn't distribute it :D.
    Phat Ham: FOH is the console out in the audience, the "house" sound as it were... the console on the side of the stage is monitors. The snake takes inputs from the stage and basically uses transformers to split the signals. There are usually two or more outputs. One output goes to FOH the other goes to monitors (sometimes a third goes to a mobile recording rig). Each console gets totally separate inputs, enabling monitors and FOH to be completely independent. So anything the monitor guy does doesn't affect the house mix and vice-versa. It's the way to go, too bad we all can't afford it on all of our shows....with competent operators of course! Thanks for all yor support guys, I am a bit nervous about this one.......

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Spacegoat,

Thanks for the info. I get it now.:D

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Mixing B.B. King on a Midas? It doesn't get much better than that! :)

Yes, it would be quite impolitic to distribute an artist's board tape without his/her permission!

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I worked on a production crew for a BB show about 5 years ago, and band and crew were some of the nicest people I've ever worked for. Don't be put off if BB seems a little stand-offish....he's just kind of shy and trys to avoid situations where he just can't handle the meet/greet thing. Apparently he feels it's better to keep a bit of distance in order to keep from disappointing someone.

The bass player and the whole band has been with BB for many years. It'll be a super-tight professional show. If a backline company is suppyling their stage gear, they'll be the ones that'll get the difficult situations. BB likes those old Lab Series L-5s and they're hard to come by.