i'm moving and i have problems!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 22, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have to move! i'll go to the beautiful city of Firenze (Florence) to complete my studies. this means a lot of change for my little musical world. i can't go there with amps, amd i play both guitar and bass. i decided that i'll take with me my trusty Fender P bass and my Fender Stratocaster, but i desperately need a practice headphone only amp. regular amps are out of question because i'll live in a small apartment with other guys. i'm looking for a small device that will let me to play silently and with decent sounds both guitar and bass. add to this the fact that i'll use this device in the future for home recording expecially for guitar because i record bass directly from my SWR sm 400s head line out. i have seen that guitar pod retails for $345 and korg pandora for $200. what i have to do? thanks a lot guys, special prize to eveyone that will help me decide a beautiful postcard from Florence!
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Bass really doesnt sound the greatest thru the guitar pod, IME. I know Dean makes some headphone amps.
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    but here in italy i have never seen a Dean product...
  4. Nobels (being a Euro company) make a headphone amp as well, often re-badged and sold by Fender. Called the StereoPak.

You might be better off with a small bass practise amp that has a headphone out. I've never been too fond of portable headphone amps, although I do have one of those nasty mini-Marshalls I picked up for a song as a preamp in my home studio (but it sucks royally for bass, good 4 guitar though).

And of course there's all the amp-modelling options from Behringer, Boss, Line6, etc that all have headphone output and a wide array of tones and options at yer disposal.

So Marco, what happens to the band?
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The Danelectro eStudio is pretty good soundwise, with bass or guitar. It also has a distortion setting which is not the greates, but can be disengaged. I have one and it sounds great. Also, it doubles as a perfect stereo line out device, which allows you to plug straight into a computer.
  6. A guitar pod with a bass may not sound that great, ,but I suggest trying a guitar with the bass pod, because the bass pod is decent.

7. For 8 years now I've been the proud owner of a Boss SE-70!!! This has a headphone out, acts as a preamp, and can be used for guitar, bass, keyboards and vocals. It's not to everyone's taste, but I like it. They don't make 'em anymore and I don't know of a modern day Jack of all trades equivalent. Maybe you could find a used one?? The SE-50 was the pre-decessor to th SE-70, I've seen a used one in Sound Control in Glasgow - not much use to you I know, but they are appearing from time to time used!!! E-bay maybe??
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks guys, great input.

nil, the band will go on with a friend on bass, the future will tell. i don't know really how many months i'll live in Florence so i can't be helpful with the band. maybe my future is in home recording...

thanks again
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    you may want to look into the Pandora's Bass Box, it costs roughly $200 United States currency.

But its really small, you can plug a set of headphones into it, it also has drum tracks and quite a few other nice feature imo. Im considering one in the near future, because I cant hook my amp up as much as I like to hear.
  10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out the link! These are really cool. Read all the features, I was pretty suprised to see all the stuff you can do with them. Heres the link
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i think that i'd go with the pandora. but which do you suggest, the guitar or the bass pandora, i have money for only one of these and i intend to play thru it both bass and guitar

12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Which is your main focus? I understand that you could get a bit frustrated with this. Try going to the music store and seeing if you can play bass and guitar through both. Ask the sales person if one has something the other doesnt.
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks old skool

i ended buying the PX3B. i'll test at home and then if you are interested i'll post a review!

14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How 'bout some bass head?
  15. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    the johnson j-station is made for both bass and guitar, but i use a bass pod, used it once for guitar, didn't sound too great with the distortion, but the ampeg SVT model with no cabinet selected sounded NICE.
  16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I strongly disagree. I have both the Bass Pod and guitar Pod, and while the Bass Pod sounds better with bass (obviously), you can get some very good bass sounds from the guitar Pod. Try the Tube Preamp model, and the Bassman model sounds pretty good, too.