I'm moving! (people usually make threads of this sort, no?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Aug 31, 2009.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I'm excited. While I've been technically living at my girlfriends condo for the past 7 months, I am officially, as of the end of September, moving in.

Ive been staying there rent free, and now that Ive cleared some bills up, its time for me to contribute. So, while I'll be perpetually broke, at least I'll have my own place, despite sharing it with my girlfriend and her two roommates, who are pretty cool.

I'm looking into finding some students to teach bass lessons to, would anyone possibly have any tips for finding students? This would help put some spending cash into my pockets, you know, for stuff like eating.

And once I sell my Bass Amp (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564625) I plan on buying a computer and making some music videos for local bands.

If I cant get get any of those ideas off the ground then its out into the world to look for a part time job, on top of my full time job :eek: which I really dont want to do.

All in all, Im excited, as I'll finally have a place to call home, my stuff has been sitting in my parents garage as they've taken all my crap out of my old room and remodeled it.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So if you've been living there for seven months, you aren't really moving.

-Mike

3. Where in LA abouts ?

4. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    If your girlfriend's two roommates are also female, you are one lucky man.

5. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    How old are you?

6. 25

7. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    STALKER:eek:

:smug:

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    That's the theory. Practice is often painfully different...

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    ... or very unlucky.

Roommate #1: Matticus, did you fix the leaky toilet yet?
    MatticusMania: No, I don't know how. I'm on Talkbass, leave me alone woman!
    Ms. Matticus: You forgot our anniversary again didn't you? Get off that stupid computer!
    Roommate #2: Why can't you just use one glass and put it in the dishwasher when you're done?
    Roommates: Let's watch Melrose Place! (giddy squeal)
    MatticusMania: But it's Monday night football!
    Roommates: Let's take a vote.
    MatticusMania: :atoz:

10. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, technically I will be moving, as none of my possesions are at the house, though I have been staying there, I've refered to it as 'My Girlfriend's Place' and not 'My Place'. At the end of the month I can officially say 'My Place'.

Hacienda Heights. Right now I live in West Covina, so its not a far move by any means.

Nah, its my girlfriends best friend and her boyfriend. No, I dont get to be Jack Tripper, but at least theyre cool peeps.

Yes, I just turned 25. You guys are funny.

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Keywords: "Our Place."

Congrats! This is a big step. Enjoy being single, committed, and give the relationship plenty of time to mature. It sounds like you're having fun workwise, too!

12. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yes, Stacatto, youre right, it will be 'Our Place'! As right now it's 'Her Place'.

She's excited about me moving in as well, we have a great relationship, and Im looking forward to the move.

Workwise things are alright, I didnt mention my fulltime job sucks, as in its boring, which is why Im often on TB, but it is steady and secure, and will be paying all the bills, except the food one. Ive already found someone interested in bass lessons, only one so far, hopefully some others will follow. Luckily for me I can be frugle and eat on $25 a week.

13. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Ever consider being an Exotic Dancer? There has to be clubs in LA? :D

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Funny enough, my girlfriend told me that (jokingly) and all I told her was thatI have no idea where the male strip clubs are in this town.

15. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Male strip clubs?!?!?!?!? Pimp out your girlfriend and her roommates. Think outside the box.

EDIT: Not to business men on business trips, but to the clubs.

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I think you might be thinking a little too far outside of the box.

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Anyways, anyone have any tips on how to obtain more students?

I've put some ads out on the Craigslist, and I've made some flyers to distribute at the local music shops. I'm also thinking about maybe passing some out around schools. Anyone have any other ideas?

18. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    The way I started lessons. Every guitar/bass came with a free bass lesson at my teachers. I went to him for 2 years. 52 weeks a year x 2 years is 104 lessons. 104 lessons x 15 a lesson. It equals 1560. Now I didn't go every week, but I didnt miss alot either. See if you can work out a thing like that at the music store. Never know.....

19. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    The first "lesson" was how to use a tuner. It also was the names of the bass parts (frets, body, pickguard, tuning peg,etc..)were also included.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, I definitely have an idea about how to start teaching the beginners.
    I actually had a guy hit me up through craigslist who has been playing for as long as Ive been alive... I dont know what I might have to show him, but he wants me to show him something.

Thanks Wookie, that might be a good idea to talk to the music store people about.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021