Im new, and and need guidance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sawblade6, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    whats ups.... im new and never played bass before, just started yesterday. I bought an Ibanez SR300DX lefty.. yeah.. im a lefty.... anywho... can someone guide me to a good amp that wont break me. What should i look for in a good amp.? so any assistance is much appreciated.. if anyone wants to pitch an amp to me one thats cool to... i just need an amp that will get the job done right. thanks

2. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    1st things first what's your budget?

2nd which bass player's tones do you admire?

3rd how much can you bench press?
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What might "break" you may not "break" me, and vice versa. If my suggestion is way off, let us know your price range.

I present to you the Ampeg B100R. Brand new for $450, used for $300-350. It is an excellent combo. 15" speaker and 100 loud watts. Sounds great, and can do alot of styles. It will definitely get the job done right.

4. We need a bit more information before anyone can start making suggestions.

There are three reasons that you need an amp (and each one will be more expensive than the last).

1) to practice on your own, with CDs etc.
    2) to rehearse with others
    3) to perform

For (1) you need 10 - 30 Watts, for (2), you need 30 - 100 Watts depending on who else is playing, and what they have. For (3) you need 100 Watts minimum, and probably more.

Any amp can be used at a lower volume, for example a performance amp can be used for practice, but a smaller amp cannot be used for a bigger application. They don't go loud enough, then they distort, then they stop working.

The first question you need to ask yourself is whether you need a cheap amp while you learn, or whether you have the confidence in your abilities to start thinking about a bigger amp from the start.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    holy crap i almost spit coffee all over the screen!!!!

yet how relavant that question really is............i'll have to remember it. :cool:
  6. remo

Jan 15, 2005

Glad you liked it Ivan!!! :D :D :D
  7. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    sorry about the sketchy info... i need something to start off with.. practicing by myself.. nothing more than 200 dollars..

i listen to alot of metal.. but i love 311 and other rock bands of that nature...

and i can put up 280 :eyebrow:
  8. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yay! 311! go P-Nut!

Well... piece of Advice: STEER CLEAR OF AMPEG........ for now. It's more money than you need to be spending at these early stages. And if you get into a band.... you'll need a lot of power, so dont blow it all right away.

I'd look into a Peavey combo. Always a good stable place to begin your journey of the low end. :smug:
  9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Buy a Behringer bass head or two and some Behringer cabinets. Then come back on the forum and tell us all about it. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Every bass player must start out with a Peavey TNT combo: it is the law ! ;)
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I was about to post almsot the same thing....

Seriously I weant from a TNT combo when I first picked up the bass at 14, to a Crate half stack, to a Trace/Hartke full stack, to a TNT combo...which I'm now replacing because the speaker seems to have died (my driving it to the roof to play for various death metal bands and dropping it off the back of my jeep 4 or 5 times probably had something to do with that).

It'll get the job done until you are ready for something bigger, by which point you'll know more about what you like as a player and can make a more informed buy.
  12. I second a Peavey combo!
    However, I'd also add a trace combo into the mix! You could always pick up a GP7 combo of some kind, 7 band EQ, fairly powerful (can pick up a good range of powers due to the different power amps), and most importantly? well, it's a trace! :hyper:

gluck. :) welcome to TB!
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, Peavey is a good option to start out with. Especially if you're practicing at home or in a small space. Very cost effective, and pretty reliable in my experience. A TNT is a very decent starters' amp, those can be had for very reasonable prices on eBay or in many stores. Good sonic flexibility, "enough" power for home/practice situations, and it'll even get you to the transition period, if and when you decide to start playing in a band. Once that happens though, you'll probably need to think about taking a step up. Good luck, and welcome to the bass playing community! :)
  14. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    thanks alot guys.... i was edging towards Peavey anyways... i remember back when i was in HS my buddy always had a Peavey amp... hes been playing bass in the jazz band and the regular band since 3rd grd, so i remember a Peavey.. he even used it in his punk band..
    I was thinking of a Microbass III... i like the price and it seems to get good reviews... i just need to know if it has a good tone.. i.e no buzzing in the speaker when a high or low note is hit with the volume up.... just tell me all the things that are wrong with it... i already know what is good, give me the bad.
    Thanks alot.. i will look into a Peavey TNT....
  15. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I've got a Microbass III and can tell you that if you are planning on playing with others, you will definately need more power. It does a great job for the solo practicing situations and can actually get suprisingly loud for the tiny package, but add anyone else to the mix, and it would get lost very quickly. The lack of CD input is also a bit of a bummer, but wasn't a deal breaker for me.
  16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    used tnt will be your best friend. even if it's 20 years old (it probably will be) also, in the same size/power as the TNT, peavey made a keyboard amp with a 15 and a tweet that's also fine for bass if you can score one used.
  17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yup, I started with that. Great starter amp. Look for an old, used, ugly TNT.
  18. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    used and ugly.... i like amps, just like my women

thanks guys... when i get home our scour around for a TNT...