im new and i wud like 2 know wot the teqniques are

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slipknotty, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im new 2 bass playing and i would like to know what all the symbols mean e.g h ans 4/7 etc... etc... and how u acctually play them in detail plz i would like to know wot they all mean and also how to tune a bass properly
  2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Im not buying the act. If your seriouse than your a loser:cool:
  3. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Im Sorry But this is sad.

Anyway if you are this new to bass, and obviously strined insturment sgo out and buy y ourself a tuner. I have newer seen as song written in 4/7 and it couldn't be written in that anyway so just don't worry about it. If you are serious (both this post, and the bass playing ) you'll figure it out eventually.
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I suggest you learn how to spell before you attempt to play bass.

When you say "h" im guessing you mean hammer-on,and 4/7 is the timing,i think.I've never heard a song timed like that though.

you seem like you need a total fresh start, and that is the site to get it at. good luck.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Alright, I'll bite. There's always a chance that he's serious (remember Dann Glenn's incident?), and if he's not, I'm sure he'll feel bad for wasting my time. (Yeah, right...)

Anyway, basses are tuned E-A-D-G, that is, the thickest string will be your E. My advice is to go out and buy a tuner. There are some relatively cheap ones out there that will get the job done. If you don't have access to a tuner or don't have the scratch to buy one, find a keyboard or a piano and tune to that.

Then go get some lessons. It's really hard to teach someone over the internet. Buying a book is good, but getting a teacher is better. At least pay for the first few lessons so they can point you in the right direction. Yes, lessons cost money, but they are almost as an important investment as your bass, becaue you need to know how to play the dang thing! Check around at your local instrument shops, or let your fingers do the walking and check the phone book. Good luck! :)
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

ok now...

im pretty sure he means 4/7 NOT AS A TIME MEASURE...

it means SLIDE from 4th fret to 7th...

on A string theres a Hammer On *go to libster*
    on E string theres the slide

almost the same but in the slide you just move your fretting finger to the other fret and in the hammer on you use a second finger to sound the note without letting the first one sound off.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good call. I don't think he is giving us symbols off of notation, tAbZ it iz.

FLIPNAUGHTY, welcome to Talkbass.

As DHC and Dave C said, would be a great place to start. Other good resources are our Technique and General Instruction forums.

Of course, the best thing would be to get a teacher and take at least a few lessons.
  9. one point twenty one gigaWOTS!!!

10. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is disappointing in more ways than one.
  11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well going by your name, slipknotty, id say that you would tune to A-D-C-B
    And some TaBz mite help...:D:p..sorry man,
    nah libster is really good for learning stuff...
  12. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    you ****s should be ashamed of yourselves. only one of you has even bothered to welcome the guy, and instead greet his (albeit strangely-worded) queries with a hail of smug bull**** - and on the basis of what? his spelling? his grammar? the fact that he's new to the bass? cheers to embellisher for actually maintaining some semblance of politeness, but the rest of you really need to lighten up. i really can't believe this. and i was wondering why i haven't been posting as much lately :rolleyes:

welcome to TalkBass, slipknotty - it's a good thing the place has revolving doors and multiple exits, though.

Watch the language, *ToNeS*.
  13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ya know what, you are right. TB is for helping fellow bassists, not belittling them. Sorry SL and welcome. Tones, I think you might have some trouble heading your way with that last post of yours though.
  14. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    it's alright, mate - i'm on my way out anyway.
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    First, the name calling is hardly appropriate or necessary.

Second, I feel that many posters, including myself, have answered his questions in a satisfactory manner.

Third, I don't blame those who gave snide responses. Part of me said "Why should I take the time to answer his question if he didn't take the time to post in complete sentences?", yet the bored part of me told me to reply. If you are asking someone for help, the least you can do is make your post readable.

Lighten up.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

*ToNeS*, I think that some of the people who responded to this thread think that the poster is a troll. Look at his profile and the post.

Still, politeness is always best, until you know for sure.
  17. Dood! Here R like 3 PhAt techeekz we have on here:

Spelling,grammer,and syntax.

18. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    it's people with degenerate attitudes like yours that make this place extremely unappealing. as i mentioned above, there are others who post here regularly who's grammar isn't exactly on par, and rarely are they subjected to such harsh treatment. not everyone has had the resources for education such as you and i.

there are snobs in society, but usually they are part of a tolerable minority - TalkBass, however, does not seem to adhere to this fact. pity.
  19. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Dude, I think you should just calm down. The guy got what he wanted. He got reccomendations from others, saying go to libster, and I think super duck did a preety damn good job.

Calm down man, and stop defending the guy. He got what he asked (advice that is), now lets just leave it at that before someone gets banned from TB altogether for doing something stupid.
  20. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My attitude? The one that asks for people to write in complete sentences using puctuation? You're right. How DARE I think that posts should be comprehendable. If someone can't take the time to write out the words "please", or "to" (it's only two letters, people... not that hard), how can they expect people to take them seriously?

"Resources for education"? Please. This isn't about schooling, or the education system. It's about laziness. If you are going to ask a group of people for HELP and ADVICE, at least phrase it in ENGLISH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.