Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm new and need help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamcooljay, Jan 9, 2002.

1. iamcooljay

iamcooljay

Jan 9, 2002
    UK
    hi, i'm new at the bass thing and i wanted to ask you lot whats the best way of lerning ? is it just to listen to music and learn to play by ear or will i need lessons. the problem is that where i am, lessons are very expensive! what do y'all think? (btw, i gotta standard (but nice) 4-string Bass)

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    welcome to talkbass.Yeah lessons are quite expensive anywhere you go.Listening to a song and playing it is VERY good.you should try to do that as much as you can.also learn to read notation(sheet music).Youll find alot of information on this site.Good luck and keep playing!

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Lessons are the best way to go but you should also learn to play by ear...tabs work also....just dont ask for them here....i like tabs cause its very easy to learn....but get your fingers strong and caliced by just playing random things...btw welcome to Talk bass:D

4. Take lessons my friend!

Save yourself ALOT of time and take some lessons! If only for a couple months - it will be money VERY well spent!

I am sure others will show up here and tell you the same thing ...

Welcome.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Same thing.

6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I have been playing bass for 12 years and I am proud to say I have never taken a lesson. I believe in the DIY method. If you do take lessons, take piano lessons or basic theory and then apply what you learn to the bass. I have found that the best way to learn is to listen to anything and everything and to practice EVERY DAY.