Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im new at upright, what kind should i get??

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by shock2system, Oct 9, 2002.

1. HI i have been playing bass, guitar, drums, bagpipes, ect for years and i wont to try upright bass, i only wont to spend around 500 or so for one nothing nice but playabul is that any body that can turn me on to a good brand??

2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    If you're only looking to spend around 500, i would suggest choosing a new instrument....

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The newbie treatment goes like this:
    1) check the newbie links at the top of each section in the DB forum, and...
    2) find yourself a teacher who should, among other things, guide you through the process of aquiring an instrument.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't that a small border town in Turkmenistan? ;)

5. I play the pipes as well, and am going to start lessons on the upright next week. What I'm doing is renting a good quality bass for 40 bucks a month. If I stick with it, and decide to buy a bass, the rent will apply towards the purchase price. This person is the lead bassist with the Eastman School of Music, and has a great reputation, as does my instructor.
    No matter how much I enjoy the bass, those wonderfull pipes will alsways be my main mistress!

6. This is the story on bagpipes:

They sound exactly the same after you've learned how to play them as before.

7. As Gabby Hayes used to say,

"Them's fightin' words"

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm afraid that 500 bucks isn't going to get you anything playable, unless you somehow land the deal of the century.

As mentioned, you'd probably be better off renting.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'd say that it is likely a POS. There was no mention made of what kind of wood the fingerboard was made of, which makes me suspicious.

The sad truth is, that you're not going to get out of your pickle for much less than about $1,500 unless you get lucky.

10. There's an Englehardt listed here in Columbus (NE of town actually)
    for 550.00. I have no idea what shape it's in but it sure sounds like a good deal.

Dave

11. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Good?... well, it doesn't APPEAR to be a Cremona, and that's about the best you can hope for in the $500 price range.

The first thing you have to realize is that "$500 Delivered" will net you a lowest-end Chinese bass, of one brand or another, and nothing more. You'll probably want a better bass in less than 2 years, and also be unable to sell this one for enough $$$ to make any serious contribution to the new bass. However, it WILL get you into the Big Bass World.

If that's the most you can afford, then by all means get one. Better than no bass at all. Get a Merano or DeVilli instead of this one, though.

Since this Ebay bass has no brand, it could still be a Cremona with no label. The same Crap-factory that makes Cremona, Palatino & Brownstone also sells basses with no sticker at all. This could be one of them.

You aren't likely to get anything else for less than $1000 delivered, unless you find a good deal locally on a used plywood for $800 to $850.

A place that rents to high-school students might have a used Engelhardt, or European bass they'll sell. You'd need to get such a bass inspected & appraised by a luthier or a VERY experienced URB player before you finalize a deal on one. You can get the Engelhardt EM-1 or a Strunal 50/4 either one, for $1100 plus shipping. Neither is the absolute bottom-of-the-line for either brand.

A CCB (Cheap China Bass) on Ebay will probably play & sound acceptable, but not excellent, and will probably last for several years (but don't plan to pass it on in your will), or maybe only for several months.

Cremona, Palatino, & Brownstone are all the same bass, with different stickers inside, and all with a well-deserved stinky reputation. That same factory also sells basses with no sticker at all. (this COULD be one of them)

There are better CCB's than Cremona available (I own one), (http://www.topads.com/sgi/string.htm) and I've been satisfied with it... for the money I paid.

My bass cost $465 plus shipping, and it's a good bass for the price. It sounds good (not excellent) and while there are some issues with "fit & finish" it has nothing really wrong with it, and is about to pass it's first year still in good health.

It worked to let me see whether I was going to be able to move into URB or not, and will continue to be valuable as a "Beater", but I'm waiting for a better bass from Bob Gollihur(www.gollihur.com) right now.

I had to contour the bridge feet better, and replace the strings on it. Most factory-built basses, and all CCB's arrive with strings that need replacing immediately.

My "ebonized" datewood fingerboard had the black worn off, by the strings, in a few places by it's second month. It's a cosmetic thing, and ALL $500 CCB's have "ebonized" fingerboards. Ebonized means "Some kind of hardwood, painted black". One of the things you get with those Strunal or Engelhardt models I mentioned is Ebony or Rosewood boards, respectively.

Cremonas often come playable from the factory(if you don't use a bow), with nothing wrong, and often last for years.
    However, they also often come from the factory badly in need of major fingerboard work, and have a reputation for not making it through their first year of life without coming apart.

Someone at www.rockabillybass.com just had $500 worth of work done to a $500 Cremona, and he's pleased as punch with it. If the top or back just don't come un-glued now, then it's probably as good as just about any $1000 plywood bass.

However, for $1100 he could have gotten a Strunal or Engelhardt, and he would have some hope of re-selling it someday, when he was ready for an upgrade.

There's not much market for used Cremonas, even if they DO have $500 worth of work from a good luthier sunk into them.

Another Rockabilly guy posted just yesterday about how he put his fairly-new Cremora into the bass bag after playing it, and when he got home, and took it out, the neck was no longer attached. The glue joint simply let go, for no apparent reason.