I'm new here. My story/Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpoprock, Jun 10, 2005.

1. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    Hey guys. I've been doing a BUNCH of reading here. You all seem like really cool dudes. I've learned a ton. Especially about all the great gear that's out there.

I'm a guitar guy turned bass player by commitee. Years back I was asked to play bass in kind of a soundgarden/ledzep/punkrock/wilco/blackcrowes type original band (weird I know). I loved the songs, and the arrangements were really tricky and challenging. I wasnt a really a bass player at the time, but I became one fast. I also tried really hard not to sound like a guitar player turned bass player. I called up my "influences" for reference, but tried to just do what I did best, and played to my own strengths. That was the best desicion I ever made. Because I may not be the flashiest player, but I do get that "your really good at playing w/ a band and you sound like YOU, all the time." I take that as a huge compliment! So, I definately don't pretend to be all that on the bass!

So at that time, I bought Ampeg B4, w/ my Sans Amp DI for more warmth, into an Ampeg 410HLF cab, mono bridged at 1000W. Needless to say it was pure rock. HA!

When I left that band to focus on being a new daddy, I figured that I wouldn't really monkey w/ bass again, even though I loved it. I also didn't want that big 'ol amp taking up space, so I traded it even to my drummer for his '69 SG Special. I got a SUPER deal on that Ampeg rig, so it was even in value really. Plus, that SG is just a creame dream.

So, now I'm in this acoustic duo (and now power trio), and need an amp. My buddy and I play small places and have been doing this acoustic crap everyone loves. Covers you all hate to hear, but play because the chicks love it and the club owners do to. HA! We got asked to play electric so we asked our old friend to play drums. It ended up SMOKIN'! So much, that we are now going to sometimes play as a three piece doing classic rock.

We'll play small clubs and we'll play at medium volume. My buddy plays thru a combo, so I'm not competeing w/ a "stack" or anything. Plus we all three sing well, so we don't like being super loud. We want the vocals to stand out.

So this puts me in the "I need a bass amp for small to medium clubs" predicament. Seems there are a ton of options. In doing my research, I think I've decided on one sure thing: the Avatar 210NEO.

I've also toyed with the 410, but now it's bigger and heavier and not as easy to move. If it doesn't make me any louder, or give me tons more low end, then I don't need it really. Just looks good.

It's the head that has me thrown. I like dealing with BassNW as they are very competitive and honest. I'm really intrigued by this new Eden Nemesis NA-320 head. I haven't seen or played thru one though. I don't know if I'll actually be ABLE to. I'll be buying it on Eden's reputation for quality. I'm sure it will sound great.

I was also considering the Ampeg SVT-350 or the Ashdown MAG300, but the guys at BNW said the Nemesis blows those two away. You guys talk alot about that Kustom Thunder thingy, and it sound great. But it's a little out of my price range. I was really wanting to stay within $400 for the head, and then $300 on the cab. I can always upgrade later if I need to.

If you want to hear a bit of what I do, you can DL our little MP3 acoustic demo at www.dashfordaylight.com (no bass on those songs though!) or you can check out my cheesy rock songs at www.highgainmedia.com/jpoprockshop or dig my blog at
    http://homepage.mac.com/sheroan/iblog/jpop Oh, and here is my social security number too...

Just wanted to say hi, and get some feedback if you had any. I look forward to hanging here!

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A seven-hundred word intro.

Hm. This guy kind of reminds me of... me!

3. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    HA!! Hey Joe =)

I swear I'm not like a gabby girl. I wanted to kill about 10 birds w/ one stone!

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    A few things.

1st, go check out the thread on the top of this forum that says "check here before asking...FAQ............". There are links to a lot of good threads relavant to your situation.

2nd, in your price range i'm thinking that used will be your best option.

A lot of us will have varying opinions, I'll give you mine.

Guitar amps and bass amps are very different. Bass requires a lot more power to be as loud. Some say 4x the wattage, some say 10x. Any way you slice it, a starting bass player often has to spend a lot more on their amp than on their bass in order to play medium volume gigs. With a 210 I'd try to get an amp that would put 200-400 watts into it at the impedance rating of the cab. I would also get an 8 ohm 210 so you can add another 8 ohm cabinet in the future if you need more volume.
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Welcome aboard! Be forewarned; this place is addictive.

As IvanMike said, we all have varying opinions; I'll toss in mine. I play classic rock with a single guitar and drums as well - and as I read your post, I cringed when you mentioned the B210.

Not that it isn't a good cab, it absolutely is - I have the Avatar B210 (Delta) along with the B212 - but I fear that it might not go low enough for you. I wouldn't think of trying to do one of our gigs with *only* the B210. Remember, that 410 you used to use, or the Avatar 410, requires a much bigger box - and that contributes to a deeper voicing, even if the same drivers are used. IMHO, 410's and 210's sound quite different - it's more than just volume.

Considering your stated cab budget, I'm really inclined to suggest you take a closer look at the (8-ohm) B212. To borrow your words, *tons* more low end than the B210.... slap casters on it to save your back if need be....

As for a head, I agree with IvanMike... assuming you're not in a terrible hurry, your dollars will go much farther used.
  6. cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Okay. "Baby you're the one" is the greatest thing I've heard in years...yes I'm being serious. I love that stuff - total pop.

I'm fairly new to the forum as well, but the guys hooked me up really great and answered all my stupid questions. Welcome.
  7. I have the 2x10 Neo, and I like it. It has quite a bit of low end and is quite light.

Read some reviews.

An Eden WT-300 could be had for $400 with a bit of patience.
  8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA