1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm new here, suggestions appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tepes22b, Sep 15, 2005.

1. tepes22b

tepes22b

Sep 15, 2005
    Maumee, OH
    Hey guys, I joined this board because I am totally excited about bass guitar again, after years of allowing my skills to languish. I started off as a bass player, and then picked up guitar. For the longest time, I thought guitar was my thing, but I seem to be having a lot more fun with the bass thing, like I can express myself better now.

Anyway, I joined a new rock/roots/country band, and I want a musical bass with good low end, highs, and a nice growl. I talked to a guy at Guitar Center because I was interested in a Fender Geddy Lee signature they had, but it had been sold a week ago. I asked him what might sound and play similar, so he pointed me to a Warwick Corvette, which I fell in love with after 20-30 minutes of jamming some chops out on it. It growls plenty, and it sounds like it's good for slap. I'm primarily a fingerpicker, and rarely if ever use a pick, but I might try the slap thing a little bit too.

I guess my question is, does anyone here have any opinions on either bass? I liked the Warwick enough to trade in my two Ibanez basses (mine don't sound like what I'm looking for) and walk out with the Warwick. It was only $899, which was the cheapest I've ever seen one. However, the Geddy Lee sig is $699, I believe. Is it worth giving the Fender a shot? Opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated. :cool:

2. I would go for the Warwick, but thats my biased opinion, they are great basses. The active bubinga bodied models especially, they growl and sing. :bassist:

If you do a search, there will be loads of info on both basses I expect.

3. tepes22b

tepes22b

Sep 15, 2005
    Maumee, OH
    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I couldn't get even near an even trade for that guitar with two Ibanez basses, a POD 2.0, and three Boss pedals. I guess I'll have to put them on Ebay or something.

4. The best way to get hold of a Warwick is to buy used, the prices arent too bad then. Plus the general opinion is that the earlier Warwicks are a bit better. I couldnt do this with my Streamer as there arent many fretless jazzmans on the market, but there should be a fair few corvettes.

Good luck!