Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm new('nuff said)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Drake Kennedy, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Hello,
    I'm not only new to this forum, but I'm new to bass playing, too. I was wondering if some of you could offer some advice to me and some of my wannabe bass playing friends. Oh, yeah, and if you offer any advice, please make it about four string basses. I'm really only interested in those. I've heard that *something* Precision makes the best 4-string basses for rock.
    Thanks a bunch
    tcoolkid

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Practice lots, listen to all sorts of music, and get a good teacher, then practice some more, and oh yeah, practice.

:)

Don

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    More Misc than Basses... moved.

4. I meant, by posting this topic, to get information about what type of bass to get, what type of amps, etc... Oh, and does Fendor Precision make fretless basses.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Coolkid:

Welcome to TalkBass.

If you want to know about a specific instrument, post a thread about it in "Basses" with the appropriate title. Just saying "I'm new" doesn't give anyone a clue as to what you really want.

Also, use the "Search" feature., as a topic you want to learn about might already have been discussed at length before and some of the people who posted might no longer be here or don't feel like typing a reply all over again every time a new person shows up with the same question.

Take some time to get familiar with the forums and the forum rules. We run a tight ship here and that's the way we like it. If you're into discussing instruments and music, you won't find a better place. People who want a looser feel tend to gravitate to different forum sites. It's all good as long as you remember we aren't them and they definitely aren't us.

To answer your question, Fender is the brand name and Precision is the model. Yes, they did make fretless P-basses for a while, the most recent batch were American Standard Precfisions made in the late '90s. Whether it's the best bass for rock nowadays is debateable, but it's definitely one of the good ones. I don't see why you'd want a fretless one, though, as fretted basses are pretty much the rule for rock.

You've been briefed.

Welcome to TalkBass. You're fair game now.;)

EDIT: By the way, I just noticed you bumped your thread two minutes after posting. Not cool.

If you want to fit in, it would be a good idea to exercise some patience, as that kind of thing doesn't go over too well around here.

6. I'm really into the fretless guitar thing, but I was just wondering what 'flats' were. I hear that they're great on fretless, but what exactly are they?
    P.S. to Moderator: I'm sorry I bumped that early, I had just noticed that my topic had slipped down considerably over those two minutes, and even when I bumped nothing happened, the same boards that hadn't been posted on were still above mine.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Flats" is short for "flatwound".

Plug that word into the search box in the "Strings" forum. Plenty of info there.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    For a first bass I wouldn't suggest a fretless, many people who have been playing years and years have a hard time with fretless. I could maybe see fretless with a marked board. Not something for a beginner.
    Hope I gave some input, ask some of the other guys around the site about fretless, I have only played fretless a few times mostly on lined boards, but they would have more input them I.
    peace
    -Ben

9. I was thinking about a marked fingerboard. I wouldn't even consider an unmarked bass as a beginner(I'm not stupid, I play the violin, keyboard, and piano).

10. Welcome to talkbass.

If you're just starting out, I would recommend you get a pretty inexpensive bass and amp just in case a few months later you find that bass just isn't your thing.

I suggest you go with an Ibanez, a MIM (Made in Mexico)Fender P-bass or an Essex, Essex being really good quality for its price. And just start out with a 15-30 watt amp until you really need a bigger amp to play with other people.

To the best of my knowledge I don't think Fender makes a fretless P-bass but, I do know you can get a fretless Jazz bass. And as everyone else has said, I wouldn't recommend going with a fretless for your first bass. Learning the notes, techniques and other stuff is a lot easier on a fretted then a fretless.

Well I wish you the best of luck and hope you stick around here, you will learn TONS from this site. Peace

P.S- Oh yea forgot to add, Bass is alot more of a physical instrument than the violin or the piano, which requires more finesse. And, I'm supposing that your main style of music is rock, so I would not recommend a fretless for rock, especially if you're just beginning.

P.S#2-Thx Blackbird :p

11. Welcome to Talkbass coolkid :bassist:

There is so much information and knowledge here you'll be astounded by how much you can learn. As people have already said, the search feature is very useful for finding info that has already been posted around here.

Keep your ears open, and practice! Good luck dude

12. Thanks everyone for your support to a new member,
    This is the best, and most helpful message board I've ever seen.
    But, I do really want a fretless bass, ofcourse with a marked fingerboard. I'm not saying that I'm not listening to everyone, its just that...well....I don't know, I'm going to the music store today:cool:, and I'll try both types out there.
    All of you great members:): ROCK ON!!!:bassist:

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmm... I say, if you really want to start on fretless, go for it! but keep in mind the price that you will pay; you will need a lot more vigilance, and patience, you will have to practice a lot more to stay in tune, and also you might get discouraged easier.

But if you are up for a challenge, and a lot more work, go for it!

I have never heard of any players that started on fretless, but why not?

14. Yes, I know.
    I just really don't like the feel of the fret's under the string. Too much violin/cello playing I guess.

15. Plus I like to play blind like that(ie: cello, piano). ARGH! If only bass was my first instrument!LOL

16. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    There's no "secret" to playing in tune.Lines or no lines on the fretboard.The lines are not always accurate,and using them as such does'nt work.(I play a lined)It sounds simplistic,but it just requires "playing" the instrument,decent intonation comes over time,through diligent practice and study of established musical principles...even if your goal is to play rock.And if you're a cellist you're WAAAAYYYYY ahead of the rest of us.(I've used a lined fretless for rock gigs before,and nobody even knew it was a fretless,unless I told them....that's the ultimate compliment).
    Good luck on your journey!!:)

17. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    some of the moderators are more strict than others but all are fair and will help when needed,before you ask any question do a search to see if its been talked about before,chances are it has been to great lenghts.as far as what bass to get is concerened you can figure out what the better brands are(fender,ibanez,musicman ETC.)now go play a bunch of them and see what model you like,come back here and do a search or ask a few questions if needed to see if what you like is a durable good sounding well made bass,then go from there.some people always question "what bass is best for blank type of music ? a good bass will be well rounded enuff to be suitable for "MOST" styles of music,like for example a Fender P-Bass is a common choice for music ranging from SKA to PUNK to HEAVY METAL to ROCK etc(there are other companies that make a p-bass type that are decent too)if you feel that that you need to have a certain type of bass then take it from there,i'm sure somebody here has the same musical tastes as you and can point you in the right direction providing you give enuff info to be able to get an educated answer from someone.i played drums for 20 plus years and never thought that selecting the right bass for me and then learning how to play it correctely would be such an on-going process,its a journey that i'm glad i decided to partake in. its been rewarding beyond my wildest dreams and keeps getting better and more interesting as i go on.
    GOOD LUCK little dude,and most of all have fun. thats the most important thing to remember"if its not fun then why bother"? :D