Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm New To Active Bass - any difference to passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by APouncer, Mar 13, 2006.

1. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Hi,

I've recently bought myself a Yamaha BB614, my first active bass in 8 years of bass playing. It sounds good, still waiting for my heavy flatwounds to come in before I can really evaluate it tho, I don't get on with these zingy roundwounds at all - funny how you get so used to specific playing styles.

What I'm wondering is do I need to take the lead out when I'm not playing to avoid battery death?

and . . .

What type of batteries are the best for performance and maximum life?

and maybe anything else I need to know? Do I plug into the high input on my amp? for example.

Thanks -

A

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, it is a very good habit to get into. When ever I take a break or don't plan on playing for a little while, I unplug. Leaving your lead in there will drain the battery slowly. Think of it like leaving the overhead light on inside your car after you shut the engine off.

I usually just use a name brand like energizer or duracell. I try to stay away from any generic name battery.

I usually pad the input of my amp -10db or if you have active or passive inputs on your amp, I would plug into the active.

3. yeah, go to a flea market and pick up some high-quality "dinacells" (yes, they do exist, and yes they are crap)
    some companies make special AA batteris for cameras that are extra long lived. i wonder if anyone makes those in 9v form...

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah, you can get duracell ultra 9 volts. They lasted pretty long when I used to have an active bass. Now I'm all passive, so I can't really tell you what the best battery type is these days.
    -Alex

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

This is from my experience: Don't use Duracell, use Energizer. My pedals and Deluxe bass seem to dislike Duracell. They love Energizer. Duracells just die within a month.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    If possible, buy rechargeables. Ok, you need the charger too, but in the long, it will pay many times over.