1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm New To Active Bass - any difference to passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by APouncer, Mar 13, 2006.

1. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Hi,

I've recently bought myself a Yamaha BB614, my first active bass in 8 years of bass playing. It sounds good, still waiting for my heavy flatwounds to come in before I can really evaluate it tho, I don't get on with these zingy roundwounds at all - funny how you get so used to specific playing styles.

What I'm wondering is do I need to take the lead out when I'm not playing to avoid battery death?

and . . .

What type of batteries are the best for performance and maximum life?

and maybe anything else I need to know? Do I plug into the high input on my amp? for example.

Thanks -

A

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, it is a very good habit to get into. When ever I take a break or don't plan on playing for a little while, I unplug. Leaving your lead in there will drain the battery slowly. Think of it like leaving the overhead light on inside your car after you shut the engine off.

I usually just use a name brand like energizer or duracell. I try to stay away from any generic name battery.

I usually pad the input of my amp -10db or if you have active or passive inputs on your amp, I would plug into the active.

3. yeah, go to a flea market and pick up some high-quality "dinacells" (yes, they do exist, and yes they are crap)
    some companies make special AA batteris for cameras that are extra long lived. i wonder if anyone makes those in 9v form...

4. Yeah, you can get duracell ultra 9 volts. They lasted pretty long when I used to have an active bass. Now I'm all passive, so I can't really tell you what the best battery type is these days.
    -Alex

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

This is from my experience: Don't use Duracell, use Energizer. My pedals and Deluxe bass seem to dislike Duracell. They love Energizer. Duracells just die within a month.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    OXFORDSHIRE - UK
    If possible, buy rechargeables. Ok, you need the charger too, but in the long, it will pay many times over.