Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm new to all of this.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheListPunk, Feb 18, 2002.

1. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    I want to buy an amp that I can play gigs with but I have no clue how big of an amp I should get. I pretty much don't have a clue about any of this stuff. What would be a good setup for a small venue?

josh
    Thanks

2. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'm fairly loud. You can hear me pretty good. Normal bass sound in a punk band. Maybe just a tad louder.

As to how much I want to spend. The least possible.

josh

3. What kind of amp do you use now?

Your profile says looking for drummer, do you sound loud with or without a drummer.
    The drummer can make a big diference in amp selection.

4. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    Right now I'm playing through a 75 watt Epiphone. But I have yet to play with a drummer lately so that would make a difference. What would you suggest?

josh

5. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    buy used...

6. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's the plan. But what to buy, as to how many watts and what not, is what I need to know.

josh

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ahhh, the eternal question...... "what should I get?"

Look through this forum at threads that deal with specific brand names (SWR, Eden, Ampeg....) to get a general idea of what people think about them. You'll find everyone likes and hates everything to equal measure.

Then check out the threads that deal with why one amp is better than the other, and you'll find that every amp is better and worse than every other amp.

Finally, go to a music store, plug into everything they have and find the one that gives YOU the sound you like, because if I told you what to get, I may like how you sound but you may not.

Once you figure out what amp you like start scouring eBay, bassgear.com and music stores to try and get a deal on it.

I'd recommend about 300 watts to start.

8. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's what I wanted. Thank you. You guys kick ass!

josh