1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm new to bass - And I need some help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Freshman Adeem, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Freshman Adeem

Freshman Adeem

Sep 24, 2017
    Hey guys - I'm new to bass so excuse my ignorance in this regard - But is it normal for my strings to fret buzz when my finger is not placed in a very precise position close to the fret? Thanks in advance

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's also a matter of how much pressure you are putting on the strings. Decent pressure, even right in the middle between frets, should not buzz if the neck is in decent shape.

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Yes. If your finger isn't right up against the fret you will likely get a buzz. If you do this properly and still get buzz, you need to adjust the setup on the bass.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If the action is set very low, yes it can be. Some bassists like Billy Sheehan use fret buzz as part of their tone. Do make sure that you're pressing firmly (but it shouldn't have to be too heavily). If it's a persistent problem, take it to a shop for a setup.

bholder likes this.