1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Im new to flats. so far I like the DR highbeams, hate the GHS brite

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 00Funk, Jul 23, 2007.

1. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    I have 2 seperate basses with theese strings. I groove better with the DR's

2. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    How do you like the tension on those DR flats? Is it lower than the Brites? The same?

3. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    About the same. I use drop D tuning, so its not too bad.

I cant imagine using them w/standard tuning

4. Im quite fond of EB flats.

And ive got some (7 to be exact) sets of Sadowsky flats, which sound pretty cool on my ATK right now

5. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I know what you mean. I love the sound of flats but it's ths high tension I could do without.... Thanks for the info.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I like the daddario chromes myself.

7. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Me too. I just tried the GHS Brite Flats and I didn't really like them at all. They feel weird and don't sound good enough to justify my keeping them on.

8. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Im going to see if I can get use to them. They sound pretty good with a pic.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think Brite Flats are awesome after you play them for a month or so.

10. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    To be honest, Im begining to really like both sets.
    Thats weird, you have to break in flats.

Im use to changing rounds after a few days. After the zing is gone, rounds are useless to me.

The DR's sound incredable using a pic. Ive had both sets on different basses for three weeks now, and I guess they are good and broke in.

Good thing about the GHS's, is the low tension.

11. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    ....then you might like to check out TI jazz flats (Thomastick-Infeld). As far as I know they are the lowest flats available. Lots of info about them here if you do a search.

12. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    yep.

13. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    After a few months now, I still like the DR highbeams. Im giving up on the GHS brite flats. Hate em.

For that bass, im going to DR nickel low riders. light guage. .40-.95 If it tears up the board, so be it.

14. Eric S

Eric S

Jul 19, 2005
    Paris, France
    +1

15. Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Sep 11, 2007
    They're groundwounds/halfrounds after all!! I've been wondering for decades why in all the world they called them "Brite Flats"!? That's just misleading. That said, I like them very much better than e.g. D'Addario Halfrounds. Brite Flats have a very throbby attack when played pizz, a good click when played with a pick, a classy sustain, and a somewhat hollow interesting character. They have more of a genuine deeper bass, less of a lower mid kick, halfway present highs, no twang (which I find annoying with most flats). And all this in a relatively light gauge (.045 - .056 - .077 - .098")

GHS has some real flats called "Precision Flatwound" which are quite good, a really deep bass (which many flats, alas, do miss), like a hippo girl giving you and your bandmates a massage :cool:, strong mids, mellow treble, neat pick attack, too.

A more flexible yet phat sounding and twang-free FW would be Pyramid Gold.

Alternatively Ernie Ball FWs also offer throbby bottom and twang-free top, yet with subdued mids.

D'Addario Chromes come with a very warm though not exactly celler-deep bass, very powerful mids (which in some contexts may be a bit boomy, though), are semi-twangy but nicely cutting through the mix.

In the more subtle department, there's of course the highly praised Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass Flat Wounds which are unique b/c of their roundcore.

Also possibly of interest: Dean Markley FWs which are lean, elegant and subtle.

16. Oh great Bushmaster!!!

Would you know how Labella's deep talkin and/or DR highbeams fit into your descriptions?

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'm like soooo close to pulling the trigger on some flats for my jazz once i get a P to keep rounds on. :D Diadario Chromes will most likely be my choice, but i've heard really great things about TI Flats.

Something about a Jazz with flats sounds better to my ears than the P with flats. Less thud, more smooth round full tone.

18. Bushmaster

Bushmaster

Sep 11, 2007
    DR High-Beams basically is a stainless steel roundcore compression wound string. That is, it wrapped with round wires like a roundwound, but after it is finished with that, it gets crushed somewhat between rollers. In theory that should make a fine finish, but actually with DR it still is more coarse than many roundwounds :( That's not to say it was not a good string, though. It sounds phat, even when slapped, and also lasts longer than than the Lo-Riders/Stainless Steel (though this one is good for Stanley sounds).

AFAIK DR doesn't offer flatwounds. For oldschool sounds their nickel-plated line (Lo-Rider = hexcore, Sunbeams = roundcore) might be worth giving a shot, though.

LaBella makes technically really classy strings. DTB Flat has an excellent smooth finish, a phat bottom, though in .043 - .104" a twangy cut, while .052 - .110 is what the man himself, Jamerson, was playing. This is not just another pathetic endorsement hype, this one is a real classic.

DTB Roundwound probably had the most impressing cellar-deep bass of any string I've ever played, at the same time it really was of character, also very musical. Even worked great on fretless. I used a .044 - .110 set tuning down to DGCF with excellent results.

TI Jazz Flat is a very subtle string, also great for fretless. I guess half of what I'm playing wouldn't just come across with most other FW (which as a rule are too stiff for that).

Chromes are definitely on the powerful side, they kick butt ;) I think they're still a good complement for a Preci or 70s Jazz or also a Gibson Ripper. At least to an old fart like me who used them already way back then this evokes memories... :oops:

Otherwise, in the past few years I've come to like PJs...

19. I'll toss in my preference for La Bella Deep Talkin' flats. The tension is comparable to like gauged rounds and they have a solid, clear sound.

20. I've always been a flat-wounder. I like the smooth sound even though I play mostly blues and southern / classic rock. I also like the minimized noise when sliding my fingers up the neck. I put Fender Flats on my Squier Pbass shortly after I got it and have just ordered a couple of sets from "Webstrings" mostly out of curiosity to see what a $16.00 set of strings sounds like and partly because I think my G is sounding tinny. If you all want I will post my opinion (for what it's worth) on how they sound.