Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IM NEW TO PLAYING BASS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass104, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Bass104

Bass104

Jan 28, 2001
    Hi to all the bassist. I am starting out playin the bass i bought a Peavy and some cheap amp is a Peavy a good bass for a newbie like me?

I heard about techniques which would be easist for a beginner? Thanks (if you reply) :)

2. In my opinion (which doesn't hold much anyway :)) would be that what you have is fine. Hell i know a bassist who bought a Ashton. When you are learning to play it doesn't really matter what bass you have. So too you don't need a whopping amp so the neighbours can hear all the fumbles. You have to play for awhile before you subject them to the fumbles. lolololol

So too, choose a song that you would like to play. feel free to email and tell me what song it is, or post it here, we may be able to suggest something easier but in the same genre. Its all about enjoying bass playing.

If you feel you want to, get some bass lessons from a teacher. Many people here will suggest it, personally when i was starting out three years back, i was embarrassed to play in front of even my brother, now its different. Playing in front of someone is hard as you are open to judgement, although they can teach you a hell of alot.

Hope that helps. Email me if u want some easier songs etc. hell i still play them lololol'

Merls

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I don't agree...I mean you pay the damn teacher,he is there to listen to your mistakes!!And actually that's the whole idea,to make mistakes so that he can help you improve on these parts...what would the meaning be if you could play like John Turner,then YOU should be the teacher:D
    I don't have a teacher BTW.I know it would help a lot but I am just too lazy:p

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    If you want some online lessons to build up basic technique, then try:

http://www.bass101.com/lessons.shtml

That should help you build up strength and movement in your fingers, and give you a basic grounding in beginning theory. And if you're stuck on anything, then I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. Until then, you can just do what I do and post crap in Off Topic. :D

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your Peavey is a hell of a lot better than what a lot of us started out on. My first bass wasn't even a bass- it was a Sears Silvertone guitar. I drove nails into the headstock so I could tune down to standard bass tuning and still keep enough tension on the strings to make it playable. The strings were nylon wound because that was as close as I could get to a bass sound. Then when I actually got a bass, a Norma (Swedish?), you couldn't tell one note from another because the pickups were so bad.

So that's my "I used to walk 10 miles in the snow to school with a pack of crackers for lunch" story. I think you are getting off with a decent set up. I hope you make the most of it

6. i used to walk 20 miles to school every day in the snow. shoes werent invented yet so we wraped barbed wire around our feet for traction

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My first bass was an Ibanez Blazer :)

Back to the tread topic. Yes get yourself lessons but to suit you. If you want to learn the basics then stop do some of your own stuff then get lessons again do that. My teacher was way too slow and concentrated too much on reading so I dumped him.