1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm new, whats up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greenman88, Aug 20, 2012.

1. greenman88

greenman88

Aug 20, 2012
    Nashville Tn.
    Yep, I'm new here. I have a Carlo Robelli 4 stringthat i got on craigslist for $60. I havent been able to find any info on these other than they are a sam ash house brand. The pups are a mystery brand, the eq is made by "g&b co." It sounds ok, but wait, i pulled the back cover off and my pups have four wires. So i searched around and re-wired them. So now they are single coil? I dunno but it sounds much brighter. Anyone here know anything about carlo robellis? It sounds and plays good. And it was AutoZone cheap. Heh. Would i be stupid for putting money into it? Like maybe a sustainiac stealth pro? Or should that just remain a pipe dream.

2. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    It sounds like you changed from parallea to series wiring on the pups. Still not single coil.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    As long as you like how a bass or guitar plays, feels, and sounds. With very nice neck and fretwork. And is solid wood body not plywood, Is allways ok to upgrade it however you like. Adding a sustaniac unit could make for some great fun sound possibilities.

4. I wanna see pics of said Carlo Robelli.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it looks good and sounds good, you can't go wrong at $60. Welcome to TalkBass. Anything anyone here says about me is a lie.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome, Greenman. One thing you need to know right up front: That Munjibunga dude is extremely erudite, helpful, humble, and an all-around great guy...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LIAR!

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Welcome to talkbass, greenman88. what kind of pick-ups are on your bass. soapbar, jazz, percision? or perhaps they're p/j pick-ups? if you're looking to buy better sounding pick-ups, check out EMG pick-ups or bartolini pick-ups.

I've heard of the brand carlo robelli. sam ash use to sell these basses. I think les claypool from primus played these basses. I've never tried out those basses, but I've heard some decent things about them.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Lol somehow I'm being reminded of that one robin williams bit on his comedy special weapons of self-destruction.

10. greenman88

greenman88

Aug 20, 2012
    Nashville Tn.
    Its got two soapbar pups that have four screws each, not sure about what my options are as far as upgrades go. Most pickups i see online have three like music man ones. Im not 100% sure if its plywood or not, the front looks like airbrushed woodgrain effect, but the back looks like real wood. The finish doesn't have that thick gel coat like a boat finish or anything. I really want to paint it, but its kinda nice and i dont want to eff it up. I'd like to paint it matte black... I'll probably do it soon. There is an engine enamel that is super thick and coats completely in one coat. Im a mechanic so im cheap and try to do everything myself haha.anyway, ill stop rambling and try to figure out how to post a pic from my phone, i dont have internet.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    :D

12. ;)

13. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Crystalman 85, actually Les Claypool played Carl Thompson basses, worlds apart from Carlo Robelli, but a hammer is a hammer right?

14. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Greenman, Im gussing youre a Type O fan like myself, I want a sustainiac for a couple of my basses.

15. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Sorry(guessing,not gussing) you could always take the sustainiac and whatever else out and put it in something better.

16. Welcome to TalkBass, greenman88.

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Welcome to TB! By the way, general rule of thumb is no pic's, doesn't exist. Pic's.. Pic's.. Pic's....

18. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Welcome to Talkbass.

My daily player is a Carlo Robelli 4 string. I also own a CB 8 string that I love, as well.

These were the Sam Ash house brand. Very low price. They are considered definitely not top of the line. however, I've owned 4 CB's over the last 8 years and they all played and sound great. I found them easy to play, well finished, with impressively good electronics, considering their cheap price.

If you like the bass, and want to upgrade it, why not. It's your bass, your money, your decision.

How about some pics???

19. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Zombie thread warning.:ninja:

20. Ha! I hadn't noticed that. I just welcomed someone who's been here much longer than me.