Im new, Which is the best distortin pedal for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by messibass, Apr 28, 2012.

1. messibass

messibass

Apr 28, 2012
    Hi guys

IM new here , so i hope im doing this right jaja

I have years and years looking for a bass distortion pedal , that give me the power of the bass but with some distortions , i tried so many and i didnt like any of them , some give me a lot of effect but i lose the punch of the bass, or another ones give me the punch and effect but the effect sounds dirty ass hell,.,. jaja..

So which one you guys recommend?

2. bassofthe

bassofthe

Jun 5, 2011
    Fuzzrocious Grey Stache.

You weren't very specific, so I just suggested my own favorite.

3. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    I'd like to get these :
    darkglass B3K
    mxr fuzz deluxe for bass
    There are also :
    sans amp VT
    ibanez phat hed
    fulltone bass driver
    many use fuzz...

I use a Sansamp bass driver with a turbo rat through a Boss LS2 with mix channel:

if you like to retain the bass on any dist. pedal, you can run one trhough a boss LS2 in the mix mode, so you plug your dist. on one channel and let the other clean and mix both : this way you'll get both the nice distortion top and the lows of your signal... with an eq in the chain (clean or dist. channel, or both)you can enhance and tailor your sound pretty much...

The hard thing is to find a kind of distortion you like cause there are so many on the market !!

4. Ohhhh boy.... Welcome to talkbass!

Google these two for starters-

Fuzzrocious
    Wren and Cuff

Still not what you're looking for? Go to the effects forum and use the search function. Try typing in fuzz, distortion, overdrive and/or "dirt".

Generic questions like this have been beat to death here. Try searching first. You will find more information, oppinions and reviews than you can stand to read. Also, questions like, "Which (whatever) is best?" is subjective. What I like, you may hate. I always read on here for reviews of things, then try to youtube them for demos. You're likely going to have to try and flip a few pedals before you get what you're looking for. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  6. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    OP, do you have any examples of tones that you're chasing?

7. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    this.

it is always fun...... 'cept when you get a pedal and dont like it. ;)

8. messibass

messibass

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah , im looking for something like Manowar but a little bit more of punch,... Thanks

9. messibass

messibass

Apr 28, 2012

THank you im checking..

10. Like the intro to warriors of the world?

11. messibass

messibass

Apr 28, 2012
    MMm , actually , like all the manowar music , some people call them the Super distortion ..

12. Personally I think a good place to start would be: bassfuzz.com , as mentioned previously, it's quite a subjective matter, the website has loads of reviews of various pedals that'll give some idea of what they're like - you really need to sample some pedals yourself and decide what suits your needs - that's where I'm at!

13. Welcome to Talkbass!

+1 to Plays_for_Dog... There's a ton of information on dirt pedals here on TB. Just takes a little patience and perseverance to dig through all the info.

Also, there are many flavors of dirt too... Overdrive, distortion, fuzz, bit crushers, etc. They all have their own flavors and (sometimes not so subtle) nuances. It all depends on what kind of sound you're after.

Another +1 for everyone having an opinion, but that's not a bad thing. By coming to Talkbass, I've learned that fuzz is very popular around these parts, but it's not for me. I was always a "keep it clean & modern" guy, but then got into overdrives after joining this site and now I've played 16, still own 11 (I think?) and have a Dark Driving on order.

Unfortunately, it's also like Plays says, it might take some trial & error on your part. But research up front helps ease the $$ investment to find "the one."

5sg.

14. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    the OP is talking about distortion ... not fuzz, so i recommend the Z.VEX Box of Rock (well, i did build a clone of it and really like it).

15. Agreed, I just mentioned the others because there's so many flavors out there. When I first came to Talkbass, I didn't have a clue that there was a difference... I just thought they were ALL called "distortion." Then I learned they're actually different effects with lots of flavors within each category. Distortion wasn't my particular brand of vodka, so I mistakenly assumed I didn't like dirt in general. Then I found out about overdrive and became almost as addicted to them as I am to envelope filters. :p lol

:bassist:

5sg.

16. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    Yeah, I originally thought I wanted fuzz, but distortion and od were more for me. And now i have all 3. WHY NOT.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021