im new

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 10-4bassist, Jul 6, 2004.

best way 2 play

Poll closed Jul 16, 2004.
  1. play with a pick

2 vote(s)
  2. play with fingers

8 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im new at bass and i was wondering, which is the best way to play the bass and get better sound
  2. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Dude, it doesn't matter. It just depends on what you like best, or what kind of music you play. If you wanted to play punk rock then your best bet would be a pick, but for metal or jazz or something, your fingers would do the best job.

3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    And welcome to TB.
  4. s0ckeyeus

Jun 2, 2003
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

it depends on the kind of stuff you want to do, if you got a pick in you hand, you'll be more limited.
  6. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    Welcome to TB :)
    The best way I have found is to play and keep playing- the more you play the more your tone will develop

Listening to music and knowing what you're aiming for helps.
  7. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Not it if you can palm your pick you're not! :smug: :rollno: :spit:
  8. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Welcome to Talkbass!

How many times have we all reached the consensus that it is a matter of personal style even though we all still agree that its usually best to know how to do both so you can apply the different techniques in different situations?
  9. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    18,452,265,980.1 :D :bag: :ninja:
  10. loobahood8b

Jul 13, 2004
    although i hate the pick style i'm not gonna denouce it but it is limiting and unless u want that kinda poppy twangy tasteless sound, like fer punk, don't use a pick, they're also handy when playing chords, but that's kinda ridiculous on the bass, and developing a hand strum technique would be better cuz the pick limits what u can do outside of or inbetween the chords :eek:
  11. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    All I can do is laugh at this, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.