Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im new!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by rashbeep, Jul 15, 2005.

1. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    hey guys ive been wondering (since you guys are pros and all) I've been playing for about 4 or 5 months now, and I can play some fairly fast stuff on the bass (in love with it btw) eg. bass solo by metallica in the song orion and i can kinda play the bass solo from maxwell murder by rancid (not taht well). Anyways I just wanted to know from your point of view how well I have been progressing. Also, how much practice (hours a day) would I have to spend so I could get crazy good (eg. Billy Sheehan or Stu Hamm) and what kind of stuff should I practice to get there? Please reply because I'd really like to know. Thanks

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I’m so glad you’re enjoying playing the bass, rashbeep. It is a great instrument! Billy and Stu practiced like mad for many, many years to be able to play the amazing things they do and I think that you’ll find that to really excel in anything in life takes years of dedication, learning and hard work. The good news is that as your relationship to what you love develops, the learning and growing process becomes more and more enjoyable. Music is an infinitely deep art and I believe the more you learn about it the more fulfillment you’ll have. I can tell you that after 35 years of playing the bass I love it more than ever and I always look forward to next chance I’ll have to sit down and practice.

3. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    cool thanks for the reply mike!