I'm new

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sinker, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    Just saying 'hey' and introducing myself. My musical background is varied; I studied trumpet in college, but vocal harmonizes are my strong suit. I'm a passable acoustic guitar player. I've been in a 3-piece acoustic band covering CS&N, etc. I've fronted a roots rock band and a horn band.

I wouldn't trade my musical memories for anything, but I had to quit the life-style. I have a friend that says, "If you hang around the barber shop long enough, eventually you'll get hair cut," if you know what I mean. No dis-respect to those that can do it; I just needed to get out of bars.

My life has changed dramatically and I'm now playing in a Christian Praise/Worship band at our church. I don't want to jump right in on my almost first post and start talking religion (or politics), but if you're like-minded I'd love to hear from you.

I'm kind of a 'utility infielder' with the band right now. I arrange and sing harmonies when needed, and sometimes play acoustic guitar. I'm also the 'Outreach Coordinator' as we play at various ministry opportunities. Our musical leader is an accomplished bassist, but never gets any time off. I've played some bass in the past, and am hoping to learn enough to give him a rest every once in a while.

So that brings me here. I'm excited about the prospect of learning a new instrument. I just did a deal on eBay that will have a vintage axe on my door-step real soon. I don't want to jinx it; I'll tell you about it when I get it! I'm looking forward to hanging with and learning from you good folks. I can tell already that this is an incredible resource.

2. Hey Sinker, welcome to Talkbass. I think you'll like it here.

Mike J. :)
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Welcome to Talkbass.:)

This thread should be in Off Topic. Sending it there now................................;)
  4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Welcome to TB, enjoy
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass.:) There are several of us here who play in praise & worship at church, among other things. Kudos on filling in your profile.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

This is a terrific site. When you get your Bass, you'd better post pictures, or we'll hunt you down for double "supporting member" fees.
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    welcome home:)
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes, welcome to your new "home", if that's what you call a prison. You will never escape! :D
  9. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    Welcome, please check your life in the real world at the door. Thank you and enjoy your stay.
  10. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
  11. Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    Well, thanks. I feel right at home already!

When my bass gets here I'll definitely post a pic or two.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Welcome to TalkBass! Feel free to post often. :)
  13. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hiya, welcome to T'B

Although I havnt been around all that long, i like to think that I'm becoming accepted ;) ( :eek:

It's a great bass forum this, and with a really good team of moderators+site Admin, as well as members. Top stuff:D
  14. Oh! Get a Squire P! Sure you may have the money for an expensive bass, but still, you gotta follow tradition.:)

Or maybe I'm just pissed that I still own one, and want to spread the joy.......:D