1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm New

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by lowblowmusic, May 19, 2011.

1. Hey people, hope all is groovy. After 25 years as a bassist, I finally purchased an upright & figured I'd join Talk Bass.
    Have a great day!

2. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Howdy!

Welcome to the board.

3. Welcome to the party!
    Standard advice: get a teacher, as trying to apply electric technique to the DB is a recipe for disaster, and form a relationship with a local luthier, who will become your best friend when your bass inevitably has a problem.

4. spoonido

spoonido

Sep 19, 2007
    Sierra Madre, California
    Endorsing Artist: Hagstrom, Mahalo
    I've gotten so much help from these kind folks. Great people. One in particular!;)

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    You mean after 25 years, you finally became a bassist! :bag:
    Sorry--- couldn't resist. Welcome to TB!

Excellent advice from Kungfu. A teacher will not only set you on the right path in terms of good habits and technique but will help you to avoid injury. Grab a chair and search through the threads. There's a wealth of information archived here. :)

6. PostBop

PostBop

Mar 19, 2011
    NJ
  7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Welcome to TalkBass! (TB)

8. I see you're in Virginia Beach...so am I! I started playing double bass last August. It's become a complete obsession. If you want to talk, sent me a message.

As stated earlier, a real bass teacher should be a priority.

9. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    I also bought an URB after playing electric bass for 15 years.

Find the best teacher you can.
    I took lessons from the late George Vance. I feel strongly that the method he espoused advanced my playing by years.

Light strings, low action, French bow.

10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, not for everyone. :)

11. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    +1. You can't imagine how much valuable info there is here until you look. It's just incredible. And I'll add my voice to those recommending a teacher. I think you'll quickly find your DB learning falls into two categories: the stuff that is the same as BG, and the stuff that ain't. There's a lot more in that 2nd category than you'd first imagine, and almost all of it is quite physical and better learned with someone right there with you. Welcome.

--Steve

12. Great info, thanks for posting this. I'm leaning towards trying my hand at upright too. Great resource from Gollihur here.