I'm not about to do something stupid, am I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pingflood, Feb 12, 2006.

1. pingflood

Feb 11, 2006
    Hi guys,

I have read a lot of threads here the past few days, as I am getting pretty serious about picking up a bass finally. Been wanting one since I was in my teens (31 now), but never really got around to it for one reason or another.

Musical background: been noodling on guitar since I was around 15. Played classical only for a few years, then got hooked on jazz and currently play an Ovation guitar through a Roland GR-30 as well as an old electric (Vantage) that I've had for a decade or more... using a Peavey 60W amp for this. I also play tenor and soprano saxophone, something I picked up a couple of years ago.

Now, to the bass... I am currently leaning towards a lower end (price wise) 6-string fretted. I've played some 4 and 5 string basses, but coming from a guitar (also keep in mind I played a lot of classical...) I wanted a little more versatility in doing chords and melodies. I guess that I am not really approaching playing the bass as a supporting instrument, but rather something I can compose and play solo on.

I haven't had a chance to play a 6-string yet, but will hopefully do so within the next few days. As mentioned above, I did try a 5 and it felt 'almost right' so I'm guessing I will quite like it when I do.

One more thing: I really like fretless, but I can see that it would be quite difficult to play more complex chords and such on it, so that is why I am looking at a fretted one. Is my reasoning right here?

Current candidate: Brice HXB-406. It seems like incredible bang for the buck. Haven't figured out what to do amp wise yet, but I will probably start with a cheap used practice one from Music-go-round here.

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any and all input. (Other than "You need to master 4 string first" ;) )
  2. Before I even got down to the bottom I was saying Brice in my mind. Heh, that's really the only low cost 6er I can think of.
    Just don't plan on tuning it like a guitar and getting much respect around here...eh, IMO, chording works best with 4ths anyways.

Oh, btw: YOU NEED TO MASTER 4 STRING FIRST. *cough* Just kidding. :D

Good luck, and welcome to TB!
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Doesn't sound stupid to me...sounds like you've thought it out.
  4. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004

Welcome to TB!
  5. pingflood

Feb 11, 2006
    Thanks, guys. It seemed reasonable to me, but it never hurts to run it past some pros. :)

Drake: I see you're in Atlanta as well, do you know if any of the stores here carry the Brice stuff? I've seen some used ones at Music-go-round in Lilburn, but none of the 6-stringers.
  6. I don't really get out as much as I'd like to see all of the different music stores. :\
    I've heard good stuff about places in the Midtown/Buckhead area. The Atlanta Bass Gallery is amazing. I'm not sure if it was Music-go-Round, or a different store, but Jim reccomended something to me to take a used amp. He said they did a lot of used deals, and generally carried more affordable and less high-end basses. I'll have to ask him next time I'm up there.

Good luck with your search!

p.s. I can't wait for JTs next GTG. I haven't been able to go to one yet, but I think it'll be killer, especially with his new Ritter.

7. it sounds like you have thought things out right, and you are correct it is much harder to to chords on a fretless.

8. Doesn't mean it's not possible...:D Check out anything of Bass Extremes or Steve Bailey. I think he plays chords better than most, and on a fretless 6er too. He's amazing live too.
  9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Just don't try the chords on the lower frets...*eek*
  10. pingflood

Feb 11, 2006
    Well, I managed to find a six-string Peavey Grind to play with at a local music store. Once I got it in tune (honestly, the B-string was flapping in the wind and the E was a C... that's how bad it was), I spent the better part of an hour with it. Really, really enjoyable. Didn't have a hard time with the fretboard; just had to actually look at it while playing since I tended to land a little off course if I treated it like a guitar. Had a great time with it.

Now, how would this Peavey compare to the Brice? Pretty similar overall?
  11. pingflood

Feb 11, 2006
    Thanks for posting those vids. Amazing playing!

I'm not against the concept of fretless at all, but I doubt my ability to learn one within any reasonable amount of time and fear becoming discouraged. I was thinking about getting the fretted 6-string and down the road--assuming I really enjoy this, which I suspect I will--add a fretless to the collection of instruments I have.
  12. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    The peavey grind is actually one of the better "starting basses." Alot of guys don't give enough credit to Peavey's, some of my favorite basses are the Cirrus's. I actually own the brice in question, and I think it's really nice, but I would think the Peavey would play better. I would start fretted if I were you, fretless is something you don't want to add to the mix just yet (imo).

But I'd still get the brice- it'll play great, and you probably can't tell much of a difference on the bass since you're not to accustomed to bass (no offense). If you feel the tone isn't there. Try some new strings- I got some ken smith tapercores on mine, and I really dig it. Also if you continue to not dig your tone, the Pups could get changed to EMG's or something. But if after all this you still hate the tone- I'd probably scrap it. I do fine with just the new strings, but everyone has there preferences, and honestly I would never record with the bass, just not "there" for me. But for what i wanted- a 6 string to noodle on it's perfect.

13. pingflood

Feb 11, 2006
    Thanks again, everyone. I managed to find a mint condition used HXB-406 for $200; it should be getting to me sometime late this week or early next!