I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong (Coheed and Cambria)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I saw a video of them on MTV about a half a year back and couldn't stop laughing. I honestly laughed my ass off during the entire thing. The guy looks like he'd have a deep masculine voice with his big stupid hair, but he comes up to the mic and sings higher than Geddy!! I was rolling. I didn't pay much attention... I assumed them whiney emo crap.

I checked them out on Myspace.... not that bad actually. The musical aspect of it definatly does have a classic prog type feel to it. It's just between the high voice fad and all the morons I see wearing Coheed and Cambria hoodies (size xtra small), I assumed them crap... and I was wrong.

I'm probably a sell out for liking these guys, but that's fine. I'll be looking into more of their music. I hear they do concept albums, which is always fun.
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Matt, if you posted a thread admitting each time you were wrong about one band or another or changed your musical tastes because or some reason or another TB would be twice as big as it currently is.

I stopped worrying about what "scene" is associated with what music and what the "kids" were wearing long ago. If I like something I listen to it, regardless of who else does or doesn't like it or whether its hip or not.

Trying to be hip by not liking what's hip is too much hard work IMO.

PS. I am currently enjoying the new Coheed and Cambria album although it is not what I was expecting at all.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I love Coheed. Though my first encounter with them was pretty weird. They opened up for Thrice and Thursday in SF a couple years ago and I just kept staring at Claudio (singer) and being confused. Though I liked what I heard.

I have since almost gotten to the point of being a little "too" into them of late. The new album is great. Almost like they're trying to out-Rush Rush (if that makes sense).

And with the concept thing. It's sort of a concept band. Coheed and Cambria are two characters in the story (both dead by the end of the first CD).
  5. I hear you man, I think that band is very talented and could definately get into them... If they got a new lead singer that is.

6. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Coheed and Cambria rock hands down. They can't beat Thursday (The Band) but, hey if you can beat 'em open up for them.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Don't even think it. Don't even try it. I'll run your ass right out of town^

8. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    I just did. I posted. I don't live in Manchester... Go Arsenal.
  9. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    So I see you understand football real good then ;)

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Their music is alright, though not my cup of tea. But I think I've developed a medical condition relating to Claudio's voice. It just makes me feel uncomfortable, at first it was funny, but not anymore. Now it just hurts.
  11. Same, and for that same reason i won't listen to Rush either. I seriously cannot stand their voices. Sorry if i anger some C&C/Rush fans out there.
  12. +1

13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought they were cool, but after playing with them on the Warped Tour and in Europe, I really liked them. Then they go and rip off "Kashmere".......:scowl:
  14. The first album sucks, the second is pretty cool, the third .....friggin kick ass.

The third song is a great intro .
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ohhh, this has nothing to do with that bullcrap, that's a whole crapload of bullcrap that I ain't even crappin' worth cuz it ain't worth a crap. Here's the 411 cuz:

There were quite a few people who told me they were prog esque, and I, without really listening to them, basically said, "No, they are some crappy emo band." It's just, the term progressive gets thrown around a lot these days, half of the bands on myspace have "progressive" as part of their genre, but they have no progressive elements. So just admitting they are teh progzorz.
  16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    1) I freely admit that I like some of the cheesiest voices in music. King Diamond, Geddy Lee, Rob Halford, Oderus Urungus, and I'm a big power metal fan. These people's voice are just cheesy. Claudio's voice is a bad combination of cheesy and gay (yes, gayer than Rob Halford).

2) I watched a 30 minute block of their videos yesterday on Fuse. The later albums are definitely less gay (musically and vocally) than than the early ones and I can appreciate some of their music. The first 2 albums should only be played Lillith Fair devotees IMO.

Feel free to tell me how ignorant I am.:)
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I was going to call you gay, but ignorant works just fine.
  18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ok, now fess up that you were wrong about the Beatles. Go listen to Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Abby Road you heretic.
  19. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    just a question:

does the bass player have a warwick? It looks like a streamer or something to me. in some of the videos he looks like hes slapping but you cant really hear it.
  20. Hey bro, keep Rob Halford out of this.:ninja:

We could seriously start a thread off that comment alone.:rollno: