I'm not, by any means, judging....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by deernaes, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know I still have it, and I’m pretty sure I know exactly where it is. It’s at one of my other houses, in an old tin. I will try to get it uploaded soon. But, the hurricane on the gulf coast may delay it.

2. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I don’t play in church but I go to church (normally). Mine doesn’t have a band with a bass player.

3. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I have played in churches steadily for many years. Love it.

4. Reminds me of a joke in one of Irish comedian Spike Milligan's books. When the parish priest asks, when was the last time the main character was in church, he answers, " I don't know father, but it's on my baptism certificate."

(A bit like me, brought up Catholic, but apart from weddings and funerals it must be close to 50 years since I've been to church.)

danesdad, Oddly and BazzaBass like this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You’re not alone.

I’ve played in churches from time to time over the years. But not as a church member or participant since around 1972-73 when my denomination still had a type of worship service called a “folk” or “people’s” Mass. Something it no longer has since the overall policy regarding services in that church has changed over to a significantly more traditionalist and conservative position.

“Contemporary” music and instrument ensembles are now actively discouraged. And while they’re not officially prohibited, for all intents and purposes they might as well have been. Organ and choir (supplemented by traditional brass instruments on high church holidays) along with its officially approved hymnbook and song list is now the rule for services in my church. Electric guitars and basses need not apply.

Guild B301 likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I've done only one church gig in my life as a favor to a former friend, and I nearly walked out at the beginning when the minister's opening statement was completely offensive to everything I believe. Then I thought, eh, two or three songs, I'm getting paid, and I'm here already...whatever :D

HolmeBass, Ekulati, kjp360 and 6 others like this.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Gotta get more page views

HolmeBass and GalleyCat like this.
  8. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Ive never.
    I would do it for money

9. I've never played in a worship band, but did have a chance to jam one night years ago in a church with a dude on a 200 year old pipe organ. Cathedral of reverb.

Selios likes this.
  10. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I did about 4 years of it when my daughter was in the youth handbell choir. We had some fun and earned some money, but it's not for everyone, including me. Piano/organ players can get steady work on Sundays. Fewer jobs out there for combo players, except for special occasions.

11. Jon McBass

Jon McBass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    Just curious, no judgement (I grew up Unitarian, which lots of churchgoers think is akin to atheism): Would you as an atheist take a church gig? As just a paying gig? Or would it be hard to stomach?

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I was in a little country band playing weekends at a campground and after I’d been there a few weeks the wife of one of the guitar players asked if i’d come play bass at their church. I told her i’d be glad to but i thought she should know i was not big on organized religion. She looked at me like i had a couple extra heads, curled her upper lip into a snarl and walked off. A couple weeks later her hubby said she was making him quit the band. We got a much better guitar player to replace him so it all worked out OK.

Joedog likes this.
  13. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Atheist here! See my post above. Four years in a UU church. My ex was a member. "Atheist club meets Wednesday night, they'll have coffee," was the running joke. I'm generally put off my the piousness of preachers, but being on the "worship team" made it more workmanlike for me. And they only mention Jesus around Christmas, so no biggie.

I have a Jewish friend who's had a regular Sunday church gig on piano for ages. Most pros will take the steady work if they can get it!

I wouldn't do it is it were a racist, homophobic or misogynistic church, and of course the UU church was nothing like that!

HolmeBass, BazzaBass and Jon McBass like this.
  14. My grandfather was a brush arbor Missouri preacher who taught shape note singing and carried a small tuning fork in his shirt pocket to get the "key" in tiny country churches where no one could afford a piano.
    My Mom,Dad, aunts and uncles were a traveling gospel quartet, and I grew up singing and playing with them.
    Much of my rock and roll pedigree is rooted in that old time gospel I was exposed to growing up, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    Not as big a fan of the modern stuff they play in church these days but, hey,
    To each his own.
    Make yourself a little list of artists who started out playing in "church".
    Ray Charles
    Aretha Franklin
    Elvis Presley
    Little Richard
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Brenda Lee
    And of course.....me ;)
    Not to mention just about every note Bach wrote was "church" music so.....
    That's pretty heavy influence for Yes, ELP, Wakeman..etc.
    Even if your not a true believer, you gotta give "church" music its it's due.
    If you play blues, country, rock, jazz....your already playing it.
    At least a little.... :thumbsup:

SubHuman, Evert, DaDo625 and 10 others like this.
  15. SubHuman

SubHuman

Dec 29, 2005
    Good Old USA
    If you have ever watched any documentaries on many bands and popular artists across all genres you will be amazed at the number of artists/musicians that have honed and crafted their chops inside of a church...maybe not as relevant for newer artists today which I personally don’t follow as much as the classics. Churches provide the platform for people to perform with minimal judgement while building their confidence and stage precence. Most church buildings also have great acoustics and some even have fabulous gear and sound systems and state of the art recording studios. I respect others (non) beliefs but to scoff at the role churches have had on influencing music is under-estimated in my opinion. Music is a universal language so it is mutually enjoyed by believers and non-believers alike.

Shepsdad likes this.
  16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I have been for the last 15 years

MynameisMe and DBEUBEBPlayer like this.
  17. This exchange brings back one I heard in years gone by:
    “Can I ask you a question?”
    “You just did.”

BazzaBass likes this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't do the church thing. The whole 'need to be saved' and donate your 'gift' (play for free) thing bugs the heck outta me. I get asked all time.

Just keeping it real.

Lysdestic, kjp360, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I've never played in a church and they would want me there, anyway.

I take it back, in the mid '70s I did play at a pretty hip coffeehouse in the basement of a pretty small one; it was all folk and folk-rock music though. There was not close to being any religion around there. :)

20. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Same here, one time as a favor for a friend. It was alright. I wasn’t into the style of the music, and just walked a lot of arpeggios through chord charts for a chorizo breakfast and $50 or something. Seemed like a lot of people came up to me afterwards and told me how much they enjoyed it more than usual. I remember thinking, wow that was probably the safest, most vanilla playing I’ve ever done, but must have sounded solid to them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.