I'm not, by any means, judging....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by deernaes, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Hell no! :cool:

DWBass and Son of Wobble like this.
  2. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I don’t think it’s much of a thing in the UK. I was bought up catholic and I hardly ever heard live music other than organs and choirs. Been to plenty of Church of England and Church of Scotland services (I was a wedging photographer for 8 years). Didn’t see bands there either. I only go to church for a wedding or a funeral (I’m atheist), but if it was a thing and it paid, I’d consider it. As long as I wasn’t expected to hang out and pretend I was into the preaching.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I played in churches for some years. No sheet music, louder than hell, a lot of very talented musicians. Saw a lot of things...wigs flying off, teeth falling out, risers collapsing...you name it. It was a wild ride and I gained valuable musical experience and was well compensated. At that time and in that area Gospel music was contributing more to R&B/Urban secular music than the other way around...in hindsight it was nice to be at the unfiltered source. I have no interest in doing it again and the only regret is not wearing ear protection.

4. Never had a church gig. Haven’t had much use for church as an adult.

But as a kid, while taking piano lessons, I got to fool around with a proper church organ for a short while. It remains one of the most moving musical experiences of my life. In the sense that everything in the place moved with those bass pipes.

5. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    There were never any electrically amplified instruments played in the church where I sang in the choir.
    Organ, violin, cello, trumpet, hobo, clarinet, and other acoustic instruments. No modern percussion though.
    We did have classical guest-soloist to join the choir at parts.
    The choir performed classical pieces and Gregorian masses.
    Also no gospel or anything that was vaguely connected to popular music and culture.

Beside the fact that I didn't play any bass back then, there wouldn't have been any demand for it. No church gigs, only classical performances.

6. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    I played in church for about 12 years. It was fun, and I learned a lot. But I left about 3 years ago, for various reasons beyond the scope of this discussion, and I'm not going back.

Lysdestic and JRA like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've had a few "church gigs" in my life --- when i was younger, hustling for gigs/money. most were for bass, a few were FOH. "mega-churches" were becoming a thing and lots of musicians were hustling/competing for those gigs.

(the church of my 'upbringing' was not the type to have bands or paid ensembles...just the organist)

8. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I was asked to play in a church yesterday for special music one Sunday in August. Probably do this four to six times a year on average. (less often on years with a viral pandemic which causes churches to be closed...)

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Not me, never.

DWBass likes this.
  10. I haven’t played or have been to church for years, but I have in my past and absolutely have wonderful memories from it.

I had not played in years, but was attending a southern baptist style church that really was fun and a party. They had a great band with a good musical director, but I had been out of playing a long time and never brought it up to anyone.

The inevitable happened, and I was asked to join in for a service. It was quite the eye opening experience.

Growing up with parents more tuned into big band swing or The Beach Boys, my musical knowledge in the area of southern swing gospel was very limited. Getting into the funky gospel feel is really a thing, and opened my eyes to older Motown and other praise worship style playing. Coming from rock, this was a whole new bag. It launched my dormant passion for playing once again, and I had a completely new direction to go in.

Eventually all good things change, we moved from the area, and my wife and I divorced. I played a little in a church band every now and then to help out, but I never had the same passion for playing in or attending church services. I’ll spare us all from the politics.

I have nothing bad to say about those moments I had with the power of a swing choir and a killing rhythm section cooking along. The playing was almost instinctual, and the dynamics were on a completely different level. The word was good, and life celebrated. They were good times.

11. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire

12. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    I’ll be playing tomorrow morning and nearly every Sunday unless I’m running sound.
    No I don’t get paid. It’s all volunteer and I am happy to do it.
    It’s interesting reading the comments here.
    Many differing viewpoints but that’s TalkBass.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Pdaddy1978 and SLIV like this.
  13. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    I do but because I'm active in the church and ours isn't a big production or "scene" as someone put earlier. It oddly feels like playing in a garage band with less swearing.

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  14. Whale guy

Whale guy

Jul 12, 2018
    I played in various church groups for about 10 years. Met some fabulous musicians, and got hooked up with some great bands. I really got turned off of church, and doubt I will ever go back. Playing off of piano scores at church is when my love for the 5 string started. That will never go away.

15. TreySonagras

TreySonagras

Aug 11, 2013
    Texas
    I’m in a small town of about 50,000 and one of the best bands in town is at a large church. I get to play there about once a month. The music is not bad and the cats can all play. Good money, food, and hang.

Pdaddy1978 and DrMole like this.
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I played bass for a while in a Catholic church where church bands are a rarity. Nothing like the sort of bands most folks here talk about. No PA, no drums. We stood up in the choir loft next to the (electronic) organ.

I got asked to play for a rock opera about the Passion that a parishoner had written back in the 1970s and the church still performed every year. That did have drums, electric guitars, etc. I chose to stay on and play with the smaller, quieter band that supported the choir all year.

It all came to an end when the bishop asigned a new pastor who was not at all supportive of the choir, so we all quit.

P.S. I had a coworker back around 1990 who lived out west and played metal in an evangelical church band :wideyed: He sent me a tape and it was very good. The pastor was the lead vocalist and sounded like Geddy Lee :p

MynameisMe, Whale guy and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  17. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's OK. I know an organist/choir director who's Jewish.

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  18. Bass Momma

Bass Momma

Dec 25, 2017
    This English American atheist finds church bands one of the weirder things I’ve encountered in my 35 years living here.

Durham52, DrMole and DWBass like this.
  19. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The running joke here in New England about UU is that it's the only Christian denomination where you don't have to believe in God.

UU is important to music here because so many folk music coffehouses and folk dances are held in UU churches. I used to run a zydeco dance at one. Most other denominations would not rent out their halls for such activities.

HolmeBass likes this.
  20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I sang in choir when I was a lad, does that count?

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.