I'm not, by any means, judging....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by deernaes, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abe456

abe456

Mar 16, 2020
    Had a paying church gig for 3 years. They bitched that I was too loud. wouldnt come to practice, so I left. No interest in ever doing that again.

2. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    I'll never go to heaven anyway.

DrMole, mcnach and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Not I because I'm atheist and also I feel uncomfortable there

DWBass likes this.
  4. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I’ve been playing with my church praise team since early 2008. I also do side projects & things occasionally..
    Very talented group of musicians @ my church. I’ve admired Adam Nitti, Andrew Gouche, Fred Hammond, Norm Stockton, Abraham Laboriel & many other fantastic church worship bass players for a long time.

MynameisMe likes this.
  5. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm fortunate to attend a church with several talented and classically trained musicians so it's always a pleasure to play with them. The arrangements are typically adjusted right up to the point of performance so it can keep you on your toes.

staccatogrowl likes this.
  6. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I’m a devout atheist/satanist (satanists are atheists and do not believe in nor worship a devil.) I have good friends who are very devout christians As well as one Hindu friend and I’m very happy for them that they have a faith that sustains them. It just isn’t my thing. Now that I’ve gotten my disclaimer out of the way...
    My upright teacher tried to convince me to “volunteer” my time to play in a church. That was a hard no. I looked into playing in a few churches just as a gig. The ones I looked into either wanted people to play for free or they had a mandatory 10% tithe from each band member. Again...a hard no. Your time isn’t more valuable than mine because you believe in something that I believe is nonsense. I’ve heard there are some lucrative church gigs out there. My sister attends one of those mega churches with literally like 10,000 people. She said her minister has many cars, among them a Tesla and a Bentley. I imagine that one might pay well. But maybe not. I don’t know.

DrMole and Son of Wobble like this.
  7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I don’t. Although I did briefly years ago for my wife’s sake who is religious, but I’m not.
    Had a thread about it too.
    I enjoyed it till people made it not enjoyable.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    it doesn’t.

Who is in that Mt Rushmore avatar?

I think I see Terrence Trent Darby, but not sure if it’s a half of Milli Vanilli.

A couple others are familiar, but it’s too early to pin them down.

9. Ha ha!
    I know. It surprised me too just how many people play in church. I think it's pretty cool that, if you're a church goer, you get a chance to participate musically in it. In some ways I'm envious.

I auditioned for a church band 12-14 years ago, I just didn't know it was a church band, I was told it was originals and to just show up and see what I thought. I was doing nothing at the time and they were practicing 5 minutes away from my house so I went.
    I didn't join (I was offered the gig) because church is not my thing (no judgement, just not for me), but they had a sweet setup, with an amazing group of female backing vocalists and an insanely talented 16 year old drummer. It was fun. If I were going to church regularly, that would have been a great gig to have, and always on Sundays so I could easily be in other bands without clashes.

10. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Yup. Anywhere from say, 30 bucks a week at a small church to 300 or more a week at those huge mega-churches. Not to mention tens of thousands of dollars of audio/video gear, with paid pro tech crews. Huge business.

11. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Honestly as long as I’ve played bass I’ve wondered what a bass player would actually do and play in a church. I can’t even picture it.

12. "Small town of about 50,000..."
    Where I grew up in VT, that was roughly the population of the largest city.:smug:

13. Been playing guitar and bass in various churches since 1973, sometimes paid, sometimes not. First it was folk/rock, then praise and worship music, and now mostly plain old folk. As with most things, there are plus's and minus's. But where else can you have a song catalog of between 200 and 300 songs, and play to between 300 and 400 people 3 or 4 times a month. In that time I have played for funerals, specials events that were as close to rock concerts as it gets, and in major productions like "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Godspell", and "Music Man". Toured Southern Arizona, Southern California, and recorded an album of Christain folk/rock music for a noted song writer of the music.

I have also played in a number of bands over the years that had nothing to do with church. Playing in church is not for everyone, but I know many musicians who play both in church and in regular bands, sometimes on the same weekend; Saturday night at the Pub, Sunday morning at church. Right now almost all music has come to a halt because of the pandemic; hoping we can get back to normal soon.

Thump on,

One_Dude

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  14. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I played for about a year (on the Sundays I was available) in the chapel's gospel service on one deployment. I haven't been a church goer in my adult life, and I'd never played gospel music before. It was actually quite an enjoyable experience. Nice people, good musicians, inclusive atmosphere. Made some good friends and really upped my playing while expanding into uncharted (for me) territory. Still don't go to church outside of weddings and funerals, but would consider another church gig if I weren't already in 2 other bands. Assuming of course the musicianship and lack of drama where there like last time.

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  15. Hell no.

16. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    oh-yes-you-are.jpg

17. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sure seemed to work for me...

18. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    I have a friend who's wife was a believer. He used to play in the church band, but got kicked out when the congregation found out he was only in it for the music. So much for "do as you would be done by".

roccobass likes this.
  19. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    I've been playing in church since 03. Not right now though with Covid.

20. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    One of my first musical experiences was playing in a folk mass.
    It was partly a way for myself and a guitarist friend to get some practice in for our real band, but honestly it was mainly because there were a lot of girls...:D

HolmeBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.