I'm Not Dead Yet (true story!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, May 28, 2004.

1. http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/3357628/detail.html

Boy Pronounced Dead Discovered Alive During Funeral Home Prep

POSTED: 12:31 pm EDT May 28, 2004

BOISE, Idaho -- A hospital worker preparing a drowned 2-year-old for a funeral home noticed the boy was breathing -- more than an hour after he had been pronounced dead.

Logan Pinto apparently wandered away from his baby sitter Thursday and fell into a canal near his home in Rexburg, about 275 miles east of Boise. He was submerged for nearly 30 minutes before police found him a half-mile downstream, said Rexburg police Capt. Randy Lewis.

Though an officer gave him CPR and emergency workers did everything they could to revive him, Lewis said, the boy was pronounced dead when it appeared the effort had failed. After giving the boy's mother and stepfather -- Debra and Joe Gould -- some time to say goodbye, Madison Memorial Hospital nurse Mary Zollinger began to prepare Logan's body for the funeral home.

But when she looked at the boy, she noticed his chest was slightly moving and realized that Logan was alive.

The boy was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, where he was listed in critical condition Friday. Late Thursday, he was breathing on his own and his color had returned, but he was placed back on a respirator Friday, Lewis said.

"I'm just amazed and overwhelmed with what took place," Lewis said. "They aggressively worked on him for quite a bit of time, and of course it's a bad situation when you have to let the parents know that their son has passed away."

But despair turned to joy when emergency workers learned the boy was alive.

"It's called divine intervention, I think. I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe it hardly, especially after leaving there and seeing what had transpired," Lewis said. "I don't know how to explain it. It's joyous and relieving."
  2. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Damn, that's cool.
  3. :) Finally some nice news.
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That truly is a beautiful thing :)
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't want to diminish the joy and relief the parent's must feel, it truly is a great thing, I've just never liked when people call it divine intervention. I guess it makes me feel that for all those people or children who don't live, does it mean that god doesn't care, and love's the other children more. And I don't necessarily buy the "god has a plan for everybody" thing either, it almost seems like a copout. Please, I mean no disrespect.
  7. And in the organ doner thread, people shot this stuff down as pre-20th century...

Tha'ts pretty cool that he was alive though!!! :)
  8. Capt. Randy Lewis' words, not mine!

I know what you're saying.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "It's called divine intervention"

No, it isn't. Don't let cops pronounce people dead.

10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I know, I was referring to him.
  11. Whatever you believe (or don't) it's good to hear the kid is still with us.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Not to rain on everyones parade but did anyone seem to think he might have some massive brain damage?

Not sure about Boise but water needs to be very cold to keep someone from getting drainbrabage if they are in water for 30 minutes.

I hope the boy is ok. The real miracle is if he can live a fairly normal life. On that note I hope I didnt make this thread take the first turn towards the politcal corner.
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Wow, I didn't think that kind of **** happened anymore.
  14. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    What the article doesn't say is that the kid is basically dead. Sure, he breathes, but there will be no brain activity. Your brain starts to recieve irreversible brain damage after four minutes without oxygen. After thirty...

The kid is a vegetable. For all intents and purposes, he is dead.
  15. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    No! He's alive! He can sit in front of a mirror and watch himself drool for the rest of his life. Yaay? :eyebrow:

And his little sister can use him to play dress-up. Think how cool this will be for her. She can have an imaginary friend that everyone can see. She can pretend he can talk to her, and blame him for the bad things she does. I didn't break that. Logan did. What a lucky family. :rollno:
  16. + 1 (and I have seen first hand what a brain damaged child can do to the family around them).

17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    There is no guarantee he is or is not brain damaged.

I come from the midwest and water in lakes and rivers can be very cold.
    I remember a local kid being under the ice for 36 minutes that recovered with no brain damage due to the coldness of the water he was submerged in.

Even here in Vegas, a few years ago, we had a drunk overturn his jeep in the wash during a rain storm. It took the fire dept 16 minutes to get him out and no one is sure how long he was under before being discovered. He has seemed to make a full recovery.

Nothing is certain at this point.
  18. I agree, when I read the posts talking about certain braindamage, I was thinking "those are assumptions!". Seriously though, we dont' know how he turned out.

Cold water is less likely to cause brain damaged when submerged in? What causes this; I've never heard of it before.
  19. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I am a paramedic. I have worked a few near-drownings and unfortunately a few drownings. In very cold water, such as under ice, the cold shocks your metabolism into stopping(very simplified version) you have a much lower oxygen need. This is where all those theories about using cryogenics to put people into suspended animation came from. Unfortunately for the Science fiction fans reading this, it doesn't work predictably. When you warm back up your whole body wil try to re-start all the way down to the cellular level(again, very simplified version) We have a saying in the ER, for drownings and hypothermias, "They're not dead until they're warm and dead."

Unfortunately, this only works in COLD water. Idaho in May might be cold enough. Maybe.Merely cool water, like what comes out of a drinking fountain isn't cold enough to stop your system so brain damage starts at the same time as if you just stop breathing while sitting at your computer. Most drownings happen one of three ways: Drunk drownings get a LOT of water all the way down into the lungs. We don't usually get to save them. Sober freshwater near drownings get only a small amout of water into the airway before it clamps down. Usually they can absorb the water and have a fairly clear airway once we get it open. Unfortunately, anything that was in the water is left in their airway. If we can get to them quickly and clear the debris from their airways, we can often save these people. And sober saltwater drownings include pools because of the chlorine. These also clamp down their airway after only a small amount of water. Unfortunately the water contains things you don't want in your lungs. Realy clean ocean water would cause the least problems physiologically. But I don't get to see those kinds of drownings in D/FW. Chlorine burns the lining of the airway, and is poisonous. That's bad. We get them back without damage onlu if we got to them really quickly.