Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm not happy with my G&L's tone... at all.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    It sounds great finger style, and that is it.

Slap, it just sounds clanky, and with a pick... its just nasally.

It is a G&L L-5000, one of the later models...

It has P-Style pick ups, and I thought I read somewhere about some guy wiring his P bass differently so he got different tones? Could a different owner have re-wired it and made it sound bad?

I'm madly in love with its finger-style tone, but it just is not versatile outside of it.

I am using Rotosound swing bass 66's on it.

Suggestions? (I'm NOT getting rid of it)

2. Try nickel strings? I know that I've had almost the opposite effect with flats on my Fender - it seems my fingerstyle tone lacks too much high end, but playing with a pick sounds awesome. Nickels might be a good compromise, giving the pick tone a bit of warmth and the slap tone might be less metallic and harsh.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hmmmm might try lowering your set up! But if ya think it might be wiring just crack her open and take a look see! See if any of the solder looks out of place! Not many people can solder better than the people at G&L

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Is it active?

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    passive

6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Double-coil pickups can be wired series or parallel, the stock from the factory for the L-5000 should be series and it would be obvious if someone changed it. On the back of the pickup should be two short wires that are soldered together, I remember them being white and green. That's stock and series.
    I don't slap and lately have been going fingerstyle primarily, I'm really happy with my L-5000 tone.
    Please let me know if you do decide to let it go, I emailed you after your introductory post and I lust after Belair Green G&Ls!

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I suppose I'll go look at the wiring, and see if I can tell...

I won't remember that you have first dibs on it, so you will have to check in on it everyonce in a while :p

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    OK, a white wire and a green wire are coming out of the pick ups, they are soldered together...

a yellow wire is going to the tone control, and a black wire to the volume control.

9. Sounds like series wiring to me.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    What differences will parallel give me?

EDIT:

Tonally, i mean.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    bump...

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im going to guess it will give you a smooother, bassier tone with less treble.

13. Money - before you mess with wiring, is your evaluation of tone in the context of how it sits in the band mix ?

The clanky annoying tone may be just what you need to cut through loud, bassy guitars and over eager drumming.

My 2c. Post a pic of the beast when you get a chance.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Well, I have played with a full orchestra... Cut through quite nicely... but the "clank" isnt there with finger styles, only slap style...

I just don't like it when my basses only sound good with one playing style. My peavey sounds great finger, slap, pick, tap, whatever.

I love the way this thing plays, and wont sell it over the tone (Unless I was offered a handsome sum) because I think the tone issue can be cured.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    pic...

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If your pick tone is just nasally, you probably need to get something brighter in the string department. I don't know if you want to go all-out and rewire the bass though, because if you are happy with the fingerstyle tone, it will be different too after such surgery.

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Well, I've never plays a bass that I thought sounded bad finger style... so i will probably still love it, just for different reasons.

18. Actually, parallel wiring is usually more trebley since series wiring by default cuts treble frequencies a little due to resistance in the wiring or something. Generally, parallel wiring is a bit cleaner and brighter, like a Jazz compared to the series of a P bass. With a parallel P your tone will be a little bit more melow and brighter, but still have quite the P thump.

19. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Parallel will definitely cut the low end and the output will drop noticeably.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I guess it depends on the pickup setup. My sterling, the parallel is significantly less trebely than series..