1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm not leaving the world of Bass but I want to be a mediocre guitarist on the side

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 30, 2009.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    On a scale of 1 to 10 on the bass I think I'm a 7, better then average but not superstar status or a virtuoso or super genius. I'm not flashy I just get the job done and throw in some fills to keep things from getting boring, and I'm happy with that.

But I'm curious about the guitar and want to start learning how to play. I don't want to be hendrix or y%angvie mn8steem or whatever the hell his name is. I just want to be an average, run of the mill dime a dozen guitar player.

So what do I need to do? I got a strat I never play, and a 65 watt amp that I hope still works. Now what?

What's those punk chords that you can play 1,000 songs with, E G D or something. I want to play like the sex pistols and that's it, nothing more.

Can someone help me? I want the bass to carry the tune and I just chill.

2. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    there's nothing to say, I mean, you pretty much covered your problematics... you want to play the Sex Pistols, go on and play powerchords [F+5ª(+8ª)]

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Get a fairly decent acoustic and start playing songs.

4. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Nah, I want to play high voltage rock!

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Sounds to me like you're already there. :rolleyes:

6. +1 Just start jammin' power chords man! :bassist:

7. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    so you want to be a guitar hero!? just don't get hooked on heroin hero, you never really catch the dragon, man.

8. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    ???????:eek:

9. +1. As hard as you may try, you just can't catch that dragon. :atoz:

10. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Sometimes the dragon chases you, man! Watch out!
    Pretty much learn power chords (5 chords,A5,B5 etc.) and use distortion/overdrive and lots of volume! Oh, power chords are Root+5 and sometimes+ Octave.

11. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm pretty sure you need a metal zone distortion pedal.

Taking up another instrument is a great idea. Just pick out a song you want to play, get the tab and jam along.

12. The problem with power chords is that you'll get tired of them really quick. Then you'll be wanting to learn other chords and different ways to play them.

What you need is a book called The Encyclopedia of Guitar Chords. I owned this for several years. It taught me so much about where chords are and different ways and positions to play the same chords. After a while you'll find that the guitar and bass are very similar instruments in theory and that your knowledge of bass playing will come to help you understand the guitar, IME and IMO at least. I've been a guitarist for over 20 years and a bassist for 10.

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    There's lots of guitar edumacation websites. Check out GuitarPlayerworld.com

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Do it! I play both bass and guitar with bass as my first love. I don't claim to be a virtuoso of either instrument by far, but I am a competent musician who can play at a skilled level on either instrument. Heck I've even learned to, play lapsteel and bottleneck styles, plus I can finger pick, and flat pick well enough to hang with far better guitarists than I'm in a jam session, to play rythm guitar and take the odd solo. I still approach my bass playing with the mind of a bass player. Guitar playing has only added to my bass playing by being able to understand chord structure, melody, etc, and music in a way that makes me a better groove keeper, and all around bass player, and musician.

15. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes, learn a whole lot of cool chords and become an awesome rhythm guitarist first. Teach other guitarists to learn the value of a good rhythm guitarist in a band.

16. Just learn barre/power chords. Done.

17. Godbody

Godbody

May 27, 2008
    That's the book one of my guitarists learned his chord shapes from! Fantastic book overall.

I highly recommend adding barre chords to your guitar repertoire in addition to barre chords. I play rhythm guitar on rare occasions live, slightly more often on home recording projects.

I just made a long post talking about the Pistols earlier. Steve Jones can't read music, but he's still super tight, and had super catchy hooks. Its not always easy to play his fills and 'solos,' possibly because he had no musical background to base his compositions on (his kleptomania made him steal his first guitar three months before the Sex Pistols formed).

At any rate, you can probably already play any Ramones song. What I've found is that if you learn barre chords and practice your downstroke picking, and you can play any Sex Pistols, Minor Threat and Pennywise song. Learn your upstrokes and you can play rhythm with most Clash (and Rancid) songs ( I did this...the only Clash song I can play bass and sing is "Should I Stay Or Should I Go).

I'd play a lot more rhythm guitar, but there's nobody near me who can play bass for anything and/or has gig-worthy equipment (I usually play a semihollow guitar through my bass amp at those rare gigs, I think it sounds fantastic).

I also play stoner metal rhythm detuned to C standard, a la Kuyss. Its more like playing bass in traditional tunings; I can't wrap my head around the dynamics of playing bass that deep.

My current thought is to get a 5er bass and string it E to C, to get more into guitar range. Maybe I'm a rhythm player trapped in a bass player's body.